1996 Force 90HP will not go into neutral. Please help!

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
I have a 1996 Force 90HP. I recently replaced the impeller. the problem I have is that the engine will not go into neutral. Its always I forward. I remember that I forgot to put the engine in forward before I removed the lower unit. Please let me know if that could be the reason why my engine will not go in neutral and its very hard to get it in reverse.
thanks.
Lui

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Force 90HP will not go into neutral. Please help!

Hi all,
I have a 1996 Force 90HP. I recently replaced the impeller. the problem I have is that the engine will not go into neutral. Its always I forward. I remember that I forgot to put the engine in forward before I removed the lower unit. Please let me know if that could be the reason why my engine will not go in neutral and its very hard to get it in reverse.
thanks.
Lui

Sounds like it is misaligned in the LU. Probably happened when changing the impellor. I hate to say it, but it looks like you will need to drop the lower unit again and fix that linkage setup. Make sure before you button it up again that you can go into forward, neutral and reverse. Then button it up again and happy boating. Not hard to do and others have done it as well. So just a little more work before you are good to go again...

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

You may be able to just loosen the LU by not completely taking the bolts out, this will save you trying to realign the water tube and gear rod. So loosen up the bolts and then see if it shifts easier.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The lower unit shift link detents in all three positions. SO drop the lower unit and using a pliers with some cloth to cushion it put it in neutral and spin the prop to check. (Neutral so you don't get confused as to which way is forward and reverse.). Put the engine in neutral and reattach the lower unit.