45 hp chrysler ignition conversion

Red9654

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was to convert the magneto ignition on my 1969 chrysler 45 hp outboard model 4545 to cdi ignition so i can add a charging system. anyone know what stator, trigger, cdi box, ignition coils and rectifier/regulator would fit on this motor?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 45 hp chrysler ignition conversion

102_6478.jpg102_6479.jpg

It is possible that the electronic ignition off an early Force 50 engine MAY fit. You would need to drill the top of the block for the different bearing/ trigger carrier and alternator stator mount.

However, it would be MUCH easier to swap in the flywheel, alternator, and coils from a Chrysler 45, 50, or 55 battery ignition. The points and cam are the same. There are two different stators but both are wired the same. This is one type.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Re: 45 hp chrysler ignition conversion

The easiest way is to convert to the MagnaPower CD system who was on the early 45, 55Hp in the late 60.s and early 70.s.
This system was a battery typ similar to the other battery system Chrysler used.

Points, cam, alternator and flywheel is the same, but this system did not have capacitors (the CD module has it) and the ign.coils is different. They have a lower sec.winding resistance about 5-550 ohm. The battery system coils has about 7,5-8,1Kohm. Soo you need the CD box and the ign.coils.

I do not know how common this system is in US. Here in Sweden it is not so common. I have one engine 55Hp with this system and one complete spare system.

The battery system is another way to go as Frank says, maybe easier to find parts.

Frank!! The cam from magneto system is not the same as for the battery/MagnaPower CD system. The cam for the magneto has a curve that is steeper and open/abrup the points different to the battery/CD system.

The cam for magneto has part# 93002 and for battery/MagnaPower has part# 268002-2

Last edited: