1989 85 hp Force - cold start only if fully tilted

LarsMN89

Cadet
My 1989 85 hp Force will only cold start if it is fully tilted up (nearly horizontal). It cranks great, I have it in neutral at full throttle, I squeeze the priming bulb 5 or 6 times. But it won't fire unless I fully tilt it. Once it fires and runs a moment I can shut it off, tilt it fully down and it starts and run just fine. This seems to be a fuel delivery problem but I don't exactly what to check.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 85 hp Force - cold start only if fully tilted

When you prime it does it get hard? If not check your fuel pump Diaphragm. Also check your floats in your carbies to makes sure they aren't stuck.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You explained the procedure but didn't add" holding the choke in"???
Is the choke plunger closing the butterflies?
As you turn it over the key gets pushed in and stays in till it fires.
If your doing this and it still wont start, then the floats might need to be adjusted.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

You explained the procedure but didn't add" holding the choke in"???
Is the choke plunger closing the butterflies?
As you turn it over the key gets pushed in and stays in till it fires.
If your doing this and it still wont start, then the floats might need to be adjusted.

The old choke trick, I should have known this one from a previous post I made when a carbie bolt was stopping the plunger from engaging properly. As jerryjerry stated check the choke is closing the butterflies.

LarsMN89

Cadet

The prime bulb get firm (it was replaced a couple years ago - but the problem is older than that). Yes, I am holding the choke "in" the entire time until it fires. I can hear the choke activate in both motor positions. It seems more like the there is no fuel to get to the carbs unless it is tilted. My next step is opening the fuel pump. This is a dual stage fuel pump. Any ideas if this might be the primary or secondary stage issue?

Jiggz

Captain

Instead of going to the fuel pump first, install a clear filter between the fuel pump outlet and the carbs' inlet. This is a very cheap mod which is very helpful in troubleshooting. After installation, prime the lines with the primer bulb and the filter should show getting full. When the bulb gets firm try starting again. If the problem persists, it is most likely a carb problem, which is very unusual since there are three separate carbs on this motor.

foodfisher

Captain

Try a spray bottle of fuel mix sprayed into the carb. throat. If that works the carbs are at fault. If not the throttle cable may be bound in such a way as to prevent the fast idle from working.

dan4081

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1989 85 hp Force will only cold start if it is fully tilted up (nearly horizontal). It cranks great, I have it in neutral at full throttle, I squeeze the priming bulb 5 or 6 times. But it won't fire unless I fully tilt it. Once it fires and runs a moment I can shut it off, tilt it fully down and it starts and run just fine. This seems to be a fuel delivery problem but I don't exactly what to check.

I believe one of my first posts ever on iboats was looking for an answer to the exact same issue I was having with my 85hp force.
It would crank and crank if tilted down, but tilt it up and it would fire right up and run great. It would then start up in either position for the rest of the day.
Some on here suggested to rebuild the carbs...as I was looking for rebuild kits I happened to come across a set of carbs off a 85hp force that the owner said
was running great before the lower unit seized...so he was parting out the rest.
I swapped the carbs with the ones off that engine and never had the tilt issue again.

long story short...it was definitely the carbs causing the problem...I would suggest rebuild what you have if you are mechanically inclined.
(BTW...to narrow it down more I believe the issue with the carbs had to do with the floats)