chrysler 9.9 wont start(even with starting fluid)

I have a Chrysler 9.9 model 92h00, it ran great last fall for duck season. So I took it out this spring and was trying to start it to sell it and boy did I look stupid to a potential buyer because now it will not start for anything. I've taken the carb off and cleaned it all out, it had fresh clean gas in the bowl from priming. Checked for spark with the plugs out and it has spark, although they were soaked like it was flooded, which it seemed like that happened everytime even when I didn't use the choke. I tried using starting fluid just to get it to turn over and nothing(and yes I did check to make sure it's in neutral, usless there's a sensor or something broke that I'm missing). Also there's a small hole just above the cavitation plate that sprays out gas and oil, never did that before, but my friend says that's an "overflow" outlet. Any suggestions?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: chrysler 9.9 wont start(even with starting fluid)

deleted.

Last edited:

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

Depending on how you had it stored...... the crankcase could be flooded with raw gas.......

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Fuel pump diaphragm!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

mixed symptoms, but still thinking spark. Used a spark tester? When attempting to start engine, was the kill switch in the operating position? If the plugs fouled, assume you cleaned and regapped them. Might switch out plugs.

From there, I come up with carb issues -- not sure of testing sequence, but possible the carb cleaning was incomplete, or that the float was incorrectly installed. Float could also be sticking. Choke operation seems suspicious -- flooding condition, but with choke open. Think I would insure the choke plate is actually open (possible the linkage is incorrectly attached).

MickLovin

Oldboat1, if it was a diaphragm wouldn't that give you the same flooded scenario and wet plugs?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

think the motor would be starved for fuel at the carb if the pump diaphragm was bad, wouldn't it?

(i.e., seems to be a flooding issue. also, no pop even when carb is initially filled via the bulb. Not sure offhand how the fuel pump would be a factor, but maybe missing something?)

Last edited:

MickLovin

If it was only a small pin prick hole would it not flood the motor when high throttle forcing more fuel into one of the pistons chambers?
He states that his spark plugs are wet, which could either be his mixture screw adjusted too high (but it idles fine) or his diaphragm letting fuel into the crank/or piston chamber.
I would be checking 1. your gap on your points to make sure you are getting a good spark,2. your pump diaphragm to make sure there is no pin holes in it letting fuel into the crank/piston chamber 3. your mixture screw settings. These small carbies clog easier with the small jet they have, my 6hp is bloody tiny compared to my 12.9hp and I could understand any little bit of crap getting into the jet.
There are videos on youtube of how to set up the idle on this motor, I'd suggest you make sure your idke set up is correct first.
Hope you have some luck with it, can't be too much wrong though, if you had it going last year, probably is carbies or you woudn't think so as you had it going last year, maybe the float isn't right, I have seen cracked floats not doing their job right, very rare though.

Last edited:

If it was only a small pin prick hole would it not flood the motor when high throttle forcing more fuel into one of the pistons chambers?
He states that his spark plugs are wet, which could either be his mixture screw adjusted too high (but it idles fine) or his diaphragm letting fuel into the crank/or piston chamber.
I would be checking 1. your gap on your points to make sure you are getting a good spark,2. your pump diaphragm to make sure there is no pin holes in it letting fuel into the crank/piston chamber 3. your mixture screw settings. These small carbies clog easier with the small jet they have, my 6hp is bloody tiny compared to my 12.9hp and I could understand any little bit of crap getting into the jet.
There are videos on youtube of how to set up the idle on this motor, I'd suggest you make sure your idke set up is correct first.
Hope you have some luck with it, can't be too much wrong though, if you had it going last year, probably is carbies or you woudn't think so as you had it going last year, maybe the float isn't right, I have seen cracked floats not doing their job right, very rare though.

I checked the fuel pump diaphragm and there doesn't seem to be any kind of damage to it at all, and checked for spark and both spark plugs have very good spark. I haven't taken my carb apart again and cleaned it yet, before I posted I had taken it apart just to make sure there wasn't any bad gas left in it. I Will post an update later today after work when I get it completely apart and thoroghly cleaned. Thank you all for the help btw, I've read many posts previously to signing up, but this is my first time posting.

Cleaned the carb well enough to eat off of, bought a new fuel line that looked kinda bad, and checked the spark plugs again. Still not so much as a pop, even with a little shot of starting fluid. I appreciate the suggestions but it looks like I may be selling a non running motor :/

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you should run a compression check, if you haven't already.

(Think about storage issues -- winterization. Cracked head a possibility, leaking head gasket. Guessing here, of course.)

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander

Also there's a small hole just above the cavitation plate that sprays out gas and oil, never did that before, but my friend says that's an "overflow" outlet. Any suggestions?

As you are saying this, it sounds like a bad diaphragm.. But you stated that the fuelpumpdiapragm look well!!
Only way it can act like this is that the diapragm is bad.

I would like to apologize for not understanding just exactly what the fuel pump diaphragm was. After looking up many diagrams I have educated myself a little more, apparently I was not taking the fuel pump housing all the way apart, I couldn't see the gaskets because they had been trimmed and painted over. After getting it all apart I have found a small tear in the diaphragm. Thank you all for helping out this novice boat mechanic :)

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

good call, guys (Mick/Nordin...)!

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

Shoot some starting fluid into the spark plug holes and see if it will turn over.

I've started outboards before with carb cleaner and starting fluid without any gas in the lines and carb. it wont run that long [3-10 seconds]. but gives you an idea that it will run with a little work. old trick i learned when looking at old outboards that have been sitting 30 + years. shoot some starting fluid and a little spray lubricant [Liquid wrench lubricating oil] in the spark plug holes and pull the starter a couple of times and see if theirs a pop.