Chrysler 100HP Fuel Consumption

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
I had a concern when I went from my 75hp 1980 model to my now 100hp 79 model, I did actually notice a fair difference in fuel consumption, after reading a post made by jerryjerry, I am now wondering if anyone has any idea on the possible saving of fuel when going from a 23" pitch prop to a 17". Also I changed my carbies to TC from the WB's I had in, I know and understand this will increase fuel useage, but could I still save fuel with my new 17" prop, sorry I haven't been able to water test it due to my neck and back problems, just thought you guys may have a rough idea.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Chrysler 100HP Fuel Consumption

My learning here prompts me to say, the pitch is determined by the proper/optimal rpm's. The consumption should approximate 1 gal. per hour per 10hp. at wot.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Chrysler 100HP Fuel Consumption

Swapping props around with no baseline of RPM is like shifting gears randomly in your car. Does you no good... Dropping 6 inches in pitch could raise your peak RPM by as much as 1500 revs... It will most definitely alter your fuel consumption, but not necessarily in a good way! Get your RPM checked and make prop alterations from there...