1993 force lower unit questions after installing new impeller

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice
Hello!
I bought a 93 bayliner 1800 with a 125 force(says by mercury) from the orig.owners.the engine ser.is OE016608.Engine starts and runs great,so far on a hose.I was concerned about the age of the impeller and bought a sierra 18-3251.I dropped the lower unit,remover the pump housing,removed the impeller(which was actually ok)installed the new impeller and reassembled it.I should mention this has the "D"type lower unit.I hooked up the hose,started it up and the pump was working fine,warm water from the upper holes,and cool water from the exhaust.What bothers me,now I have water leaking between the lower unit and mid section,as well as around the bolts.There also seems to be a weep hole by one of the bolts and a streem of water is coming from there.I have a seloc manuel,and must of missed something.Any ideas?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 force lower unit questions after installing new impeller

I think I would re-do your impeller and compare the difference if any between the two making sure you inserted it the correct way into the pump, also make sure when you fitted the LU back in, that the water pipe inserts correctly into the pump and while you are at it check that the plate and gaskets are correctly fitted in the pump. Then after making sure that is correct bolt it back and see how that went. there are some holes around the LU that water comes out, well there is on my Chrysler and the last time this happened to me I had either put the impeller in wrong or the water pipe hadn't correctly gone up. Not saying it is this but doesn't take long to pull off and check.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

I also neglected to put a bead of silicone around the water inlet opening on the mating surface of the LU.I will take it apart this weekend and go thru this a little slower!Thanks for your help!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Does the Seloc manual show a gasket for the housing anywhere? You can go online in a couple of places for a parts blow up (boats . net), maybe. I think you are probably OK -- normally don't need any kind of sealant between mating surfaces for an exhaust housing. If more comfortable using something, gasket sealer from Bombardier or Mercury is probably a better choice over a silicon sealant. There is water and exhaust under there, not lower unit oil, provided the gearcase seals are doing their job. I think I would torque down the bolts a little and run it, unless there are other problems -- appears to be pumping water correctly. You will probably get some gas/oil/water mix coming out of that weep hole and elsewhere after running, and that is just normal exhaust debris.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks oldboat1.I am still going to pull it apart and go thru it again to be sure.The boat and motor are just to nice to take a chance.As I said I just bought this from the orig owners(70 yo)and want to keep it for years to come,so I will be doing this again and again!Thanks again,this site and people are great!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

doesn't hurt to be sure. When you fire it up again, it would be good to do it with the l.u. in a barrel (deep as you can reasonable get it), to test out the water pump. You may also find that some of that spray will go away if operating on the pump rather than water pressure from the hose. Additionally, back pressure is important to testing and any operating adjustments. Sounds like a nice rig!

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yea I am a barrel man like oldboat1 best way to flush I reckon. I also use my muffs in the barrell, which are the original muffs from Chrysler, they are metal with rubber inside

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

thing is, use of muffs in or out of the barrel won't allow full testing of the impeller function -- but does insure flushing, as indicated. Whenever using the muffs, good idea to limit water pressure.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

I am pretty lucky as I have Lake Hauser(Idaho)about 4 miles away,and will run it there!Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

First off, your motor is a 1991 model, making it a 120 hp, according to the serial number.

So, either your motor is priced together from several, or the cowling has been replaced.

Check the hull id number on the upper right corner of the transom to confirm boat model year.

Using water muffs will have water spurting out all over, and not give positive indication whether your pump is working correctly.
Use a large barrel, or the lake,

Even given that, you will have some water leaking out of the locations you spoke of, if you have a new impeller. normal.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

First off, your motor is a 1991 model, making it a 120 hp, according to the serial number.

So, either your motor is priced together from several, or the cowling has been replaced.

Check the hull id number on the upper right corner of the transom to confirm boat model year.

Using water muffs will have water spurting out all over, and not give positive indication whether your pump is working correctly.
Use a large barrel, or the lake,

Even given that, you will have some water leaking out of the locations you spoke of, if you have a new impeller. normal.

I stand corrected,it is a 120,the boat is a 1993,and the motor being a 91 is no surprise.I found nothing pinpointing the exact year of the motor,but helpful info anyway.This is a one owner boat and I know the orig.owners.I'll start it in the lake next week and go from there.Thanks for the info!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just so you know, there were major differences in the ignition system between 1991 and 1993.
So if you need to order parts, make sure you are getting the correct ones.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

Just so you know, there were major differences in the ignition system between 1991 and 1993.
So if you need to order parts, make sure you are getting the correct ones.

I loked at the differences on this site.Should be easy to determin what year this is then.Thanks for the heads up Roscoe!

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

Pulled the lower unit off again,`checked everything,reassembled per the manuel,went together a lot smoother,took my 93 bayliner capri down to the lake and fired it up.About the same amount of water coming from the top ext port as on the hose.Ran around the lake a few times at moderate throttle and then wot(45mph)and all is great.Thanks everyone.