Force 120 1996 lost power to trim and ignition

the_dude

Seaman
We were out fishing yesterday, motor was running fine. We were using the tilt frequently to lift the motor and drift over kelp to pothole-fish for bass. Lowering the motor, got it 3/4 of the way down and then no power to the tilt or the ignition. We were able to manually start the motor with the prop barely in the water, so we were able to get her home. I don't see any blown fuses. The only one I can find is a yellow ATO inside the engine. I replaced it even though it looked fine. Thoughts? all the other instruments in the console have power.

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Force 120 1996 lost power to trim and ignition

Since the fuse seems to be intact and not blown, you need to verify that the neutral switch is working.

the_dude

Seaman

Since the fuse seems to be intact and not blown, you need to verify that the neutral switch is working.

do you mean the neutral gear? Not quite sure I understand.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

2011-02-08_052505_120hp_96_up_wiring.jpgI would try and trace the wiring to both the relays of the tilt trim and the positive to your ignition switch, to see if there is either an inline fuse or junction. Do you have a volt meter?
Looks like that from the diagram the tilt trim relays and possible ignition are fed from the regulator.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain

do you mean the neutral gear? Not quite sure I understand.

Yes, the neutral gear switch. It is not shown in the schematic but I'm quite sure there is one. Both the T&T and the starter solenoid are powered from the red wire coming off the starter solenoid through the 20 Amp fuse and then to the ignition sw. Use a voltmeter to make sure there is power on this red wire to ground, should read 12V. And then check the same on the ignition sw. If there is no power on the red wire from the solenoid, double check the battery cable connection. Remember on most boats, the aux power is directly connected on a separate cable to the battery in addition to the big red cable that is connected directly to the solenoid. This is the reason you still have aux power despite having no ignition and T&T. While at it, double check the big black negative wire also connected directly to the engine block.

the_dude

Seaman

While at it, double check the big black negative wire also connected directly to the engine block.

That was it! Thanks Jiggs! and everyone else. The cable came loose with all the lifting / lowering of the engine. Visually it looked attached, it wasn't until I jiggled it that I saw it had come loose. Now time to go kill some fish!

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good job, the old loose main negative from moving the motor around trick! oldest trick in the book LOL

Jiggz

Captain

That was it! Thanks Jiggs! and everyone else. The cable came loose with all the lifting / lowering of the engine. Visually it looked attached, it wasn't until I jiggled it that I saw it had come loose. Now time to go kill some fish!

With proper lock washer, you can avoid this kind of incident from happening again.