Hole in LU of 1967 Chrysler 75hp?

NeilDaCosta

Cadet
Is the hole below my "grease level" screw supposed to be there? Doesn't look like it, considering it leaks out oil/water mixture.

Patching it would be easy enough, but I wanted to check to make sure it doesn't serve a purpose.

It is marked with a blue arrow in this photo:

http://www.neildacosta.com/luhole.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hole in LU of 1967 Chrysler 75hp?

NO, that hole does not belong there. Additionally, it appears that it is right under the vent screw indicating the possibility that it enters the actual gearcase oil reservoir. I would not trust it. Sand well and patch it with JB epoxy. Then, I see the gearcase is a different color so it has been replaced. Start looking for another midunit to replace the existing one with the hole.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

OOPS! My bad. I went and looked at the only remaining 2 piece lower unit I have. That hole is a drain for the front compartment of the lower unit. It belongs there

NeilDaCosta

Cadet

OOPS! My bad. I went and looked at the only remaining 2 piece lower unit I have. That hole is a drain for the front compartment of the lower unit. It belongs there

So does that mean I have an internal leak in there if greyish oil/water is coming out of that hole?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi Frank, are you sure about that hole, mine had it at the front of the gear box, similiar position, but more to the front, actually about 1/4 inch from the front. Then again mine was a 1976 model, not sure if there was a difference.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6591.jpg102_6592.jpg102_6595.jpg102_6594.jpg

That photo is very difficult to discern exactly where the hole is. However, the one lower unit I have has a hole about 1/8 inch diameter in approximately that location. Thus, if that particular hole was a corrosion hole there should be two of them.

Exhaust and water will collect in the front compartment and you will get grey/black oil and water coming out. It does not mean you have a leak.

NeilDaCosta

Cadet

I found photos of the same LU online and they all have that hole as well. I guess I could take it apart and figure out what is going on exactly and if I need to worry about the oil coming out of it.

Last edited:

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ok cool it is a water relief hole, must have changed LU's a bit? didn't see that one on my 76, don't worry it is just unburnt fuel/oil/water from exhaust. Is your motor running ok, if so let it ride.