1989 Force 150 hp type A lower unit bolt torque specs.

mr michael

Cadet
Hi all was wondering if anyone could give me a list of the bolt torques specs for all the bolts on the 1989 150 hp lower unit type A.Im no expert,i usually just tighten stuff till i feel its tight enough ,but where we have aluminum alloy i really dont want to strip anything.A link to a pdf of a torque chart would also be very helpfull.Think theres the 4 bolts that holds in all the output gears,then prop shaft nut for the prop,and all the gearcase cover bolts.so not really that many.thanks in advance.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 Force 150 hp type A lower unit bolt torque specs.

I don't know of any on-line manuals. Here is what I have in my Clymer manual. When you say type A lower, I'm assuming that it is the single exhaust unit with the water intakes on the cylindrical or bullet shaped portion of the lower unit.

Note: Some of the specs are inch pounds, some are in foot pounds.

1. 4 bolts that hold all the output gears. I assume you are referring to the propeller shaft bearing carrier which has 4 long bolts. 160 in/LBS

2. Prop shaft nut for prop. 55 ft/LBS. I've never used a torque wrench on the prop nut. I just tighten t down good and tight.

3. Gearcase cover bolts. I assume you are referring to the cover that the water pump assy. sits on that seals the top of the gear case. 70 in/LBS

Last edited:

mr michael

Cadet
Re: 1989 Force 150 hp type A lower unit bolt torque specs.

thank you very much thats exactly what i was refering to.