85hp Force/16' Bayliner stiff steering

smorse1

Cadet
I described the stiff steering to the parts guy at the boat shop and he said to just replace the whole steering mechanism. Is this good advice, or is there a way to loosen it up? And is there anything out there cheaper than the boat shop is trying to sell me for $189 plus tax?
The boat sat for about 2 years and is in relatively good shape...should I just bite the bullet and do it?

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 85hp Force/16' Bayliner stiff steering

Can you post a pic of the steering system you got? For starters, disconnect the cable from the steering tube, if this loosens the steering wheel like it is disconnected, then you can try shooting WD-40 into the steering tube, reconnect cable and steer it back and forth until it's loose enough. You might have to shoot WD 40 more than once. If it loosens, then shoot regular ball bearing grease into the zerk fittings.

If after disconnecting the steering cable from the steering tube doesn't loosen the steering wheel, shoot WD-40 into the cable to loosen it up. As soon as it is loose, do the preceding steps mentioned above.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

First you need to determine if the steering problem is with the helm and cable or the kingpin and yoke. You disconnect the steering at the engine and try to turn the engine by hand. If it is stiff or will not turn, then the problem is with the kingpin. Pump lots of grease into the zerk fitting on the side of the swivel yoke.

If the engine turns freely, follow the instructions above.

190 for a complete helm and cable is not too bad pricewise, especially if he will install it at that price (which I doubt) but you probably can do better right here at the iboats store.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Before you start pumping grease into the fittings on the mid section, you might need to warm up the area around the fittings.
If the grease's gone hard?
It can blow the zerks right out of the housing.
They are a press in and will pop right out.
Undo the steering arm like they said before.
Try pushing the motor back and forth by hand.
If it's real hard then your gonna need a torch to loosen up the grease.
Too much heat and you can do damage to the bushings on the top of the king pin.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can it possibly be the steering tube with hardened grease, I have also seen a grease nipple on the steering tube make it harder due to the nipple being the wrong type and too long penetrating into the tube and hitting the steering rod. You can easily undo the steering from the motor, if the steering is still turning freely with the motor disconnected it is the motor side of things, as mentioned the yoke.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

He didn't have a problem before it sat for a while.
I doubt the gremlins came in a changed the zerk while it sat?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Pretty sure in my statement I suggested what I have seen not what is wrong with his, also it sat for 2 years which is a bit more than a little while, my suggestion was hardened grease in the steering tube and taking the rod out of the tube to confirm it wasn't from the helm. As suggested before me, to move the motor side to side with the steering disconnected which will eliminate the yoke.

smorse1

Cadet

Thanks all for your comments.
So I removed the steering arm, and the motor does swing freely, so it's not there. I greased all the points, which seemed to loosen things up a bit, but it's still plenty tight.

The steering cable is a Teleflex rack-style and it appears to be the original, as it's all zip tied neatly in place and tied to all the wiring-it's going to be a pain to get out, but I think I will just replace it.
Will something like this work: Teleflex Marine SSC13414 NFB Back Mount Rack Replacement Boat Steering Cable 14' | eBay

I'll still need to pull the cable to measure, but this is much better than the $189 the Marine shop quoted me.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Measure both ways (point to point measurement per diagram, and compare the length of the current system). Probably not the sitting by itself -- cable probably old and due to be replaced. Better to be safe. Rack and pinion system is a good one.

Adw

Cadet

Hello, i had the same type of boat (maybe you already checked this) but there is an adjustment screw below the steering wheel along the bottom of column. That screw lets you adjust the stiffness of the steering.. It should have a plastic head allowing it to be turned, but if that plastic head broke off you may not have noticed it. Worth checking out before you spend the money.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

What model year Bayliner?
Like was said before, go ahead and change the cable, probably what it needs.
I changed mine, wasn't too hard but on mine (125HP) I had to remove the transom bolts and lift the motor slightly to get the rod out completely. A bit of a pain.....

Jiggz

Captain

So do you have the tube type steering connection or something different? If you have the tube type, I highly recommend at least unscrewing the teleflex from the tube and shooting it with WD 40 first. But if it is not a tube type, you can go ahead and just replace it. Remember replacing the system steering requires disconnecting and dismounting the existing one, which means while disconnecting and dismounting the old one you can do some troubleshooting which could solve your problem without the additional cost of a new one and saving you on some installation work. Of course, you want to do this before ordering the new.

smorse1

Cadet

Yes, I do have the tube type steering attached to the motor - I would love to get out and continue to investigate, but it's still a bit chilly here in Nebraska. I am hoping there will be a nice day coming soon. I'll try cleaning up the tube as I am taking things apart and see if that will do the trick before ordering the part.
Thanks for everyone's help, I'll report back as to the outcome.

Jiggz

Captain

Great! I have the same type of steering although degreasing the tube helped in easing the steering wheel, I also ended up lubricating the rack under the wheel to finally fix the problem.

smorse1

Cadet

So, I had a chance to work on the steering problem this weekend - it seems your advice, Jiggz was what saved me from some additional expense. The knob underneath the steering wheel was fairly loose, but I kept turning it out and the steering got easier. it's still not at 100%, but I'd say 90% and acceptable to get in the water with.
I also spent time cleaning the steering tube and re-applying grease, so I hope that does the trick. I am just about ready to get it in the water! If the weather turns nice this week, the weekend's looking pretty promising.

Jiggz

Captain

Outstanding. Most caused of stiff steering is hardened grease in the steering tube either it's not being replaced or used the wrong type of grease. For the steering tube, use light and easy grease. Ball bearing grease is acceptable but you have to shoot on it annually to push some old ones out.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced mine just for the piece of mind...It had a LOT of slack it seemed, jerking my hand back and forward sometimes.
It is an 89 model, don't know the "life" of a steering system, that's why I suggested changing it out..

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I stopped using grease on the steering cable.
I use any oil that's handy.
I have someone turn the wheel as I spray oil or WD-40 on the shaft.
The WD-40 helps clean the tube as you move it.
I have hydrolic steering and it's really important to keep it lubed.
It has enough power to bend the soft aluminum parts in the cable area.
Te shop I worked in,we used to use Antisieze on the steering and on the prop shaft.
After a short time in salt water it became Permasieze.

Jiggz

Captain

"Perma-seize" - Lol! Gotta love Jerry with his terminologies!