New owner of 1976 75hp chrysler outboard fuel line question

bnetzky

Cadet
I am new to boating and outboard so sorry for the rookie question.

I recently bought a boat with a 1976 75hp outboard. The previous owner agreed to change the fuel lines and clean the carbs before I took although it was able to fire up ok.

So, I had some time and I opened the cover to take a look at the motor and found the fuel line leading form the tank was not connected.
DSC_0280 (2).jpgDSC_0285 (2).jpgDSC_0292 (2).jpg

Is the fix as simple as getting a hose clamp and attaching the hose from the fuel tank to where the cut hose is? (I ordered a manual but it hasn't come yet).

Also, I found that he did not put the carb cover back on...

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: New owner of 1976 75hp chrysler outboard fuel line question

The hose from the tank should go to the inlet fitting on the fuel pump. Then there should be a hose on the outlet fitting on the fuel pump that goes to the bottom carburetor. The inlet and outlet fittings on the fuel pump may be marked with arrows indicating the direction of fuel flow. There may be a third hose on the fuel pump that goes to a vacuum fitting on the block.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

In the first picture, you are showing the fuel line that goes from the tank to the pump of your motor, the second photo is a picture of the hose which goes to the bottom of the carbie box, which recirculates wasted fuel from the carbies.
I have had this model motor and an 80's model, yours will have a two piece gear, after 78 or 79 they changed to a one piece gear box.
I will attach a photo of my motor it will show you where the tank line goes, but mines a 100hp so it own't show you where the recirc hose goes.IMG_1513.jpg
Attaching also a picture of the carbie box8.jpg

bnetzky

Cadet

Thanks for the pic and info. Also I found the arrow on the fuel pump that pwn mentioned.

MickLovin

Yea old pnwboat, not a bad bloke for an American :rolleyes: My opinion get a manual best way to learn and read these forums and google stuff, more than half the pics I get are from googling it. Good luck with the old girl, if she has good compression, your laughing.

bnetzky

Cadet

I am grateful for forums like these because everyone is very helpful. I did a compression check and it was around 140 on all three cylinders. Based on what I have found on the internet, that seems to be good.

MickLovin

Mate that is perfect considering the specs in my manual show it between 130 - 140.