How to start Force 70 HP without controls?

joshackley

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to look at a new motor for my boat Saturday. It doesn't have controls, but otherwise should be a complete motor. I want to be able to start it so that I can verify it works. I know that I'll at least need to take a battery, fuel tank, hose, primer bulb, and probably a remote start switch?

I've heard that without the control harness being connected, you can press the choke button on the choke solenoid, and then use a remote starter switch to start it? And then to kill it you can press that choke button again? Is that all that needs to be done in order to get it started and kill it?

joshackley

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to start Force 70 HP without controls?

:BUMP:

No one has any ideas? I can't find out for definite how to do this. Going to look at this motor in a couple of days, and really need to know before I go check it out so I can make sure of the condition of the motor.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Pretty much like you stated in post number #1. Bring a gas tank, battery, primer w/hose and a remote start switch would be fine. Also bring a compression tester. If the choke doesn't work due to lack of a wiring harness, just manually engage the choke. If you need jumper cables, make sure they're not the wimpy 6 gauge ones. Ideally you would want 2 gauge or thicker but they can be kind of pricey.

Remote start switch should be connected to the small wire on the starter solenoid that comes from the neutral safety switch (might be yellow in color) and the battery connection on the starter solenoid.

joshackley

Seaman Apprentice

Pretty much like you stated in post number #1. Bring a gas tank, battery, primer w/hose and a remote start switch would be fine. Also bring a compression tester. If the choke doesn't work due to lack of a wiring harness, just manually engage the choke. If you need jumper cables, make sure they're not the wimpy 6 gauge ones. Ideally you would want 2 gauge or thicker but they can be kind of pricey.

Remote start switch should be connected to the small wire on the starter solenoid that comes from the neutral safety switch (might be yellow in color) and the battery connection on the starter solenoid.

I forgot to mention that I was going to bring a compression tester, same one I used on my current motor. I also have some heavy duty jumpers. As far as I know, the motor's wiring harness should all be there. I'm kind of going into this blind, as it's an older gentlemen who doesn't seem to be able to take pictures with his phone, because he mentioned something about his camera not being available at the moment. It's also over an hour drive to get to his house.

How does one go about manually engaging the choke? Is it just that button on the solenoid by the carburetor? I could probably take a picture of what I'm talking about, but it's pretty dark outside.

So hook up to the post on the solenoid from the neutral safety switch (or interlock switch), and the post where the battery connects to the solenoid? I might go try this on my current motor, even though it's still connected to the remote, to see what happens. The wire from the interlock switch to the solenoid is yellow with a red tracer.

joshackley

Seaman Apprentice

Just look in my service manual, seems I do not have a choke solenoid, I have a fuel primer. That fuel primer has a button on top. I'm guessing to get this motor started, I"ll need to press that button for a few seconds, then try to start it. And then to kill it, I can press that button again and it will have the same effect as choking it? Or just fuel supply as a last resort? Haha.

Tried this out on my boat, without disconnecting the remote controls, by connecting remote start switch to the post that the yellow/red wire from the interlock switch is hooked to, and the post where the positive battery cable is connected to the solenoid, and didn't get anything. It was a quick test, and I didn't have time to take the cover off to ensure good connection.

But I'm thinking, in order to get the starter turning, shouldn't I have to connect from the battery side of the solenoid to the starter side of the solenoid? And if the interlock switch is in neutral, I shouldn't have to do anything else, right?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

or put your hand over the carb throat to choke it until it starts.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes you can just connect the battery side of the starter solenoid to the starter side of the solenoid but you'll get an arc somewhere in the neighbor hood 150 - 200 amps. If you use a wire, it'll melt the end of the wire off and may melt a small spot off on the terminals themselves. It's doable, but not the best way. Connecting the remote start switch between the small post with the yellow wire on the solenoid and the heavy post that goes to the battery (not the starter) on the solenoid is better. If you use this method, you are by-passing the neutral safety switch. Make sure the motor is in neutral, because if it's not, the propeller will start turning.

Yes you can push the black button on the fuel primer, or as Scott mentions above, place your hand over the carb opening for a few seconds.

joshackley

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it! I've got to work all night tonight and tomorrow night, and I just wanted to make sure I had everything ready to go, so when I get off in the morning and head over there, I'm not wasting time I could spend sleeping. I went out again and tried this with the motor that is currently on my boat in order to see what would happen. of course, the one on the boat isn't running right now, so I couldn't verify if it would actually start it, but it did engage the starter, and turned the flywheel over with enough force that I think is possible to get it cranked.

Got the remote starter, gas tank, fuel line and primer bulb, battery (on the charger), some tools, etc.

I also found that when I tried it last night, I was hooking up the remote starter switch to the starter side of the solenoid, and not the battery side, which is why it wouldn't work.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Looks like you're all set. Good luck and hope it works out well for you!