Coil for 1967 Chrysler 75 hp model: 75773

NeilDaCosta

Cadet
I recently picked up a 1967 Chrysler 75 hp 3 cylinder engine 75773 and am trying to get it running(I am new to working on outboards but learning quick). The engine is surprisingly clean, but I think it is because it hasn't been run much ever let alone recently.

When turning the key, the starter turns the flywheel but there is no spark in any plug. All 3 are brand new. I popped off the flywheel and the stator and magnets are clean and rust free. Not sure how to test my coil(without a coil tester) but pretty sure it is bad. It had a crack that looks like it was filled on the front and a crack on the back. You can see the images on my website:

coil : http://neildacosta.com

Down the line, the distributor is clean and rust free too.

Does any one know of a replacement coil for this engine? Can a 12v auto coil work?

I did read that for older 70's chryslers with points, an auto coil can explode. I don't have points, but don't want to risk exploding either!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Coil for 1967 Chrysler 75 hp model: 75773

Looking at that coil, I would say it is gone, but you can check it with an ohm meter. With the cables disconnected off the coil check both sides to the ground of the motor, you should get a very high resistance in the Meg-Ohm range, between the two connections points you should get a low reading on your ohm meter like 1 ohm or even less but it could also have a dead short in the coil which will be reflected as zero on your ohm meter normally but depending on your meter and if it has been zeroed out properly, if you get a high reading on your coil it is cactus. I wouldn't use an auto coil as the voltages may be higher than what is required in this case but others may have a different opinion.

Nordin

Commander

I suppose you have batteryign. system with points (located in the distributor). You can use a auto coil for sure. There are lots of threads at the forum about this and even for converting to MagnaPower 1 CD ignition.
You can also look at my thread (Way to go when the MagnaPower CD box fail). There are about five ways to choose between.

MickLovin

My apologise, maybe you can use an auto for it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You don't have points? Post a couple of photos of the ignition system and the inside of the distributor. I'm very interested because around 1967, they were just starting to develop electronic ignition and points were used to signal the CD box. perhaps a previous owner retro-fit the engine.

NeilDaCosta

Cadet

You don't have points? Post a couple of photos of the ignition system and the inside of the distributor. I'm very interested because around 1967, they were just starting to develop electronic ignition and points were used to signal the CD box. perhaps a previous owner retro-fit the engine.

I lied(out of ignorance), there is a point in the distributor and it was filthy:

http://www.neildacosta.com/photo.jpg

I cleaned it, spaced it to .010, replaced the distributor cap and using MickLovin's ohm technique along with one of Frank's from another post(grounding out the coil for a spark), determined my coil is working despite the cracks. I would still like to replace it, but taped the cracks to prevent an arc temporarily just to see if I could get spark. And I did in all three plugs!

This coil has no noticeable cd box, so can it be replaced straight up by a 12v auto coil????

That led me to the next issue. Manually playing with the choke/throttle, the engine started and stayed on. I do not have the lower unit attached(it was seized) so pretty quickly shut the engine off since it was not getting any water for cooling.

The second time I tried to start it, there was the loudest backfire I have ever heard which left my ears ringing(and was still being talked about hours later at the local watering hole by all the neighbors). At that point I noticed some drips of gasoline coming from where the lower unit attaches.

Guessing this might be a leaking gasket somewhere(I didn't see any leaks on the top side though)? I don't doubt that I flooded the engine either though while trying to start it again.

Again, any info would be much appreciated. And thanks for putting up with my naivety, I am learning a lot thanks to you guys and felt pretty damn good when the engine fired up today!

Nordin

Commander

Runnig without LU the engine might backfires, that is not uncommon. Two stroke engines need some backpressure form LU and water to run well.
You might flood it when you try to start it and this engine is an oldschool construction two stroker and it use fixed portings in the powerhead to feed the combustion chambers. This will result in not all fuel being burnt especally at idle.

Nordin

Commander

Runnig without LU the engine might backfires, that is not uncommon. Two stroke engines need some backpressure form LU and water to run well.
You might flooded it when you tried to start it and this engine is an oldschool construction two stroker and it use fixed portings in the powerhead to feed the combustion chambers. This will result in not all fuel being burnt especally at idle.

Last edited:

MickLovin

You could also possibly have a fuel pump diaphragm problem as well if you are finding raw petrol coming out, I had a crack in mine and it poured fuel straight into my tub of water

Nordin

Commander

Sorry two replies.......... computers!!!!!!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If the engine has no CD box, and if there is a capacitor at or in the distributor, then yes, you can use an automobile 12 volt coil--12 volts, not the regular 9 volt coil unless you use a dropping resistor in series with the 9 volt.