Chrysler 4hp 42HB lower unit/drive shaft assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgutter

Recruit
I have recently bought a Chrysler 42HB 4hp. I removed the lower unit to inspect the water pump impeller, however when I did I managed to pull the drive shaft from the lower unit. Now I cannot seem to get the drive shaft re-assembled into the lower unit and mated in the splines of the "drive gear" (thats what I call it anyhow, idk the proper terminology). The drive gear is loose and floating inside of the lower unit. I can shake it around and maneuver it somewhat into position but cannot seem to get the shaft to mate with it. Is there a trick to re-assembling this? Will I have to remove the prop shaft bearing and retainer plate? What is the thread size for the jack screws needed to remove the prop shaft retainer plate?

motorsailor19

Recruit
Has anyone come up with a solution? I did the exact same thing, pulled the back off of the lower, only to find another wall that needs to be removed. is that second wall just pressed in?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Has anyone come up with a solution? I did the exact same thing, pulled the back off of the lower, only to find another wall that needs to be removed. is that second wall just pressed in?

Please start a new thread. This one is over 5 years with no activity - Officially DEAD!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.