75 hp Chrysler Removal

Tnstratofam

Commander
How do I disconnect the steering on my Chrysler outboard? I have a manual ordered but its not here yet, and I'm wanting to get started on replacing my transom. Also where is the best place to lift the engine from, or can I just use tow straps or something like that with my cherry picker to lift it off the back of my boat. Here are some pictures.

How do I unhook the steering cable?:confused:

This one shows The steering arm from the motor loose.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Tnstratofam

Commander
Re: 75 hp Chrysler Removal

Here is another question, where to attach to engine for lifting?

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You remove the silver nut in the first photo--I think it is 1 1/8-- and pull out the steering cable. First you disconnect the battery cables at the battery and disconnect the ignition cable, control cables, and fuel line and pull them out.. You can either pull the battery cables with the engine or disconnect them inside the cowl and pull them out. Loosen the transom clamp screws all the way and unbolt the bottom two 3/8 bolts in the transom clamps.

You can either fabricate a lifting loop to use three screws in the top flywheel holes OR you can buy three 1/4 X 20 threaded eyebolts to screw into them. You can also use a strap wrapped around the lower shroud but this is not nearly as secure as lifting by the flywheel.

EDIT Looks from the photos like you do not have the bottom two 3/8 bolts.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander

Thanks Frank. I started to loosen the Silver nut and the whole cable started to twist. I've sprayed it down with penetrating oil. I think it is supposed to spin by itself. I didn't want to start disconnecting anything else tonight until I new how to remove the steering cable. I've already got the through bolts in the transom loose, and I have got the throttle and shifting cables marked. The only thing left to unhook is the battery, and starting wires. I have them marked as well.

Tnstratofam

Commander

I'll have a new thread started in the restoration section this weekend I hope. I've got to get the transom replaced and this boat back in the water so I can get back on the Stratos Restore.

Tnstratofam

Commander

One more question if you don't mind. In this picture you can see the release switch on the bottom just above the steering rod.

What exactly does this release?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not positive but it usually goes to a s/s bracket which holds the motor into the boat as per these photos, I am a bit unsure how you have a 79 or 80 model with it though it stopped after 78 I thought.14.jpg and your motor looks like a 79 onwards from the gear housing, I had this exact motor but an 1980 model, great motor, but I buggered the gear box and my other 75hp didn't fit the 80 model as it was a 76 model

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7516.jpg102_6774.jpg102_6431.jpg102_6432.jpg102_6430.jpg

That release lever actuates a reverse lock so the engine will not jump out of the water in reverse gear. There should be a bent plate that clamps over the tilt adjust bar with the lever engaged. You release it to tilt up the engine for trailering etc. The lever should have a plastic cam and a bent threaded rod going down to the spring loaded clamp plate. The nut on the bottom adjusts the plate so it just clears the tilt bar when released.

The clamp plate is difficult to remove so it is usually not missing. If the cam is broken (very common) or if other parts are missing, you can simply use a piece of strong cord or thin stainless wire rope to actuate the clamp plate.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander

That makes sense. The funny thing is I had been engaging that plate by hand at the launch ramp and then undoing it by hand in the water when I needed to tilt the motor up. That has made for many a close swimming incident from almost falling in to unhook and or re hook that plate. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander

I'm not sure what year my engine is. The boat is an 82 Starcraft. I replaced the lower unit last fall with one from a local marina's bone yard. Not sure what year it is either. I only had it out a few times last fall due to some carb issues, and knowing the transom was shot. Once i get the transom redone on the Starcraft, and the weather here in the mountains warms up a bit, I'll be headed to the lake to see how well that old Chrysler runs. I really can't wait to put her back in the water.

MickLovin

Frank while your on this subject, did they all come with one? I didn't notice it on my 80 model 75hp, but I think I have the remnants of one on my 100hp which is 79.

Tnstratofam

Commander

I still cannot get this stupid cable undone.

this thing will not turn without twisting the cable as well. What am I missing?? I have sprayed it with every kind of rust penetrating oil I can find here in Tn. I've even used industrial strength Aero Croil. This thing will not budge!!!

I have tried holding the cable with channel locks while I turn the nut with a wrench. I've tried putting a load on the nut and hitting the cable with a hammer and a brass punch. Nothing is working. I'm so getting my a** kicked by this thing. What am I missing. Is the cable supposed to be disconnected at the other end so it can spin? Help!!!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Appears that the metal sleeve that is attached to the end of the cable that passes through the nut is rusted to the nut itself. They are two separate pieces....the nut and the cable sleeve. The nut should spin freely on the metal cable sleeve. Instead, they are rusted together. Try backing the nut off as far as you can before you hit it with a hammer or brass punch.

Normally you should not have to disconnect the other end of the cable so that it will spin, however, in this case you may have to since it looks like the nut is rusted to the metal cable sleeve.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

This has happened to me before. Grab the rusted ferrule with a vise-grip and then put a wrench on the nut. You will need to grab tightly enough to slightly deform the ferrule but it should not affect steering. Looking back at the photo, it seems that the ferrule is already deformed so someone else may have done this before.

Tnstratofam

Commander

Thanks I'll try to put a little more elbow grease into it this evening when I get home from work. I've had it soaking in penetrating oil for the last 3 or 4 days. I was afraid to put too much tension on the ferrule, but I'll give it another try this evening. Thanks for the quick responses.

MickLovin

Looks like someone has squashed it before trying to loosen it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

would grab the cable with a vise-grips, then try to tighten the nut back up on the motor. When the nut frees up, lube the threads and run it back and forth few times. When backing it out again, pull on the cable while loosening the nut from the motor tube. If the cable is clamped/attached to the boat within, say, four or five feet of the transom, should help to unattach it to give more play. With most badly stuck nuts, I've taken to rapping the end of the wrench with the side of a hammer -- might get somebody to hang on to the vise grips on the cable, in this case, while you whack at the wrench a bit. (highly sophisticated technique that seems to work with stuck screws too, using the biggest screwdriver in the toolbox that fits the screw, and a vise grips clamped to the driver just above the screw -- leaning on the driver for downward pressure).

On lifting the motor, I'm always wary of lifting by bolts alone or straps/chain alone, so i do both just to feel comfortable -- bolt or lifting ring along with the woven straps that movers use, wrapped around the motor under the powerhead.

self taught. bruised knuckles...

Tnstratofam

Commander

Woohoo I got it.:whoo:This is how I did it.

I don't know if the whole steering rod was supposed to come out, but it did.:D I'll sand down the ferule and try to see how the cable is attached to the steering rod tonight.

I also got every thing else disconnected and ready to lift the motor of the back when I get my motor stand built.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I'll be posting the rest of this little adventure in the resto thread. Thanks again.

Dave.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that whole piece is supposed to come out of the tube. There is a smaller rod within the larger one and it is connected to the cable--it is a guide. Inside it is a piano wire that is attached to the end of the bigger tube. This pushes and pulls the bigger tube and does the steering.