1989 force 125 hp type A lower unit seal issue

mr michael

Cadet
Hello,i have come up with an issue while trying to buy seals for my 1989 force 125hp type a lower unit.I bought all the seals i needed to redo the whole unit,but when i got the seals for the gearcase cover 2/4 of the seals fit.I contacted my dealer and rechecked that they were right parts and they were.the seals that didnt fit was the upper seal in the cover,which was too big,and a rubber o-ring seal for one end of the cover.So after spending lots of time with dealer i researched myself,it seems as though the cover itself may have come off a 120hp 1990 model,since the cover looks more like mine than the 89 cover did in the diagram on the parts site.So my question is,is that possible?are the 2 years interchangable?Thanks

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 force 125 hp type A lower unit seal issue

The covers are not interchangeable. The whole lower unit is interchangeable, but none of the individual components in the lower units are.

I've run into the same issue as you when trying to source parts. Sometimes the lower unit has been changed by a previous owner, sometimes the parts reference manuals are wrong, etc, etc. Just out of necessity, I've become extremely familiar with my particular set up to avoid problems.