1996 Force 90HP Idle Adjustment

FISHVA88

Cadet
I'm doing a little work on my motor and think I have the air mixture screws on the carbs where I want them. It seems like the engine is idling a little fast, so I'm going to adjust the idle speed screw to get it in the correct RPM range (~1000 on muffs, I think). There is a notice on the engine that says the throttle rod must be adjusted when the idle speed screw is adjusted. I looked at the manual, but it doesn't do a good job of detailing this throttle rod adjustment.

My question is what is the rule of thumb for adjusting the throttle rod after adjusting the idle speed screw? I am very new to working on this motor, so I might need it spelled out for me if anyone knows the answer. Thanks in advance for your help!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Force 90HP Idle Adjustment

Mercury does not have the spring loaded throttle quick=connect. Thus, when you change the setting of the idle stop screw, you must also adjust the plastic cable end. In neutral: Simply unclip the retainer and pull the cable with the black plastic slug out of it. Unclip the end from the throttle linkage. Then turn the slug on the threads the correct way until the hole in the end of the cable aligns with the pin on the throttle arm when the cable is put back into the retainer. That's it. Takes a minute or two to do.

Last edited:

FISHVA88

Cadet
Re: 1996 Force 90HP Idle Adjustment

Ok, I get it now. Thanks for the help, Frank!