How to find Engine ID# on 120 Hp Mercury Force engine with decal missing?

Jake2055

Recruit
:facepalm:I wish I had known and read this forum last week! I bought a boat Saturday (1995 Quantums Force 120 HP Bass/ski boat). Looks great... but made MAJOR mistake by not hearing it run first BEFORE filling out the Bill of sale and title info and money exchanging hands. (I KNOW....Major STUPID :grumpy: Cant help now...Got home and motor (1995? Mercury Force 120HP )would not start...THEN I noticed the 'power/pack/voltage regulator had a HOLE in it with corrosion on the elect contacts! I need to replace it...and who knows WHAT else! The place on the r/s transom where the decal/eng ID is supposed to be (according to Mercury) is blank...with something that looks suspiciously like part of the word 'void'...Is that bad?
Is there an alternate place to find identifying motor info so I can order parts that are correct?
I asked this in the Mercury web site forum and only got something about..possibly on a plug on the eng block? Located where?
Any help with this would be Great. Thank you

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How to find Engine ID# on 120 Hp Mercury Force engine with decal missing?

Welcome to iboats!

Okay....There were only two models of that motor in 1995 E065101 & E070287[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. I am not a Force person but I seem to remember they had labels inside the engine cover........

I will move this to where you will get better answers ;)

PLEASE Get a repair manual!!
[/FONT]

Jiggz

Captain

Unfortunately, without the decal on the port support arm, there's no other parts of the motor to ID the model number. Although other motors also have another decal on the stbd support arm. However, there are a few number of stamps and labels on other parts to ascertain the year. On the starter, if it is still original should have the year it was manufactured which will also be close to the year of the motor. The mid leg cover also has stamped on the inside which will indicate the year. Many forum members are very good on discerning motors (by their year) by posting a pic of the motors inside showing the port and stbd sides and also the carbs area. Usually, by knowing the year, most of the time you can just presume the model number and most parts will be generally interchangeable. And for the 120 HP starting with 92 models they are mostly of the same parts and model numbers.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If you can post a picture of the ignition system, and the also the other side of the motor with the cowl off, and the tilt/trim motor, you can usually get it to within a few years.

Jiggz

Captain

As for the written word "Void" on the decal, it is most likely the support arm or the power head do not match as together anymore. The likely scenario is that the powerhead could have been replaced already. So it is better you provide pics for better ID.

Jake2055

Recruit

Welcome to iboats!

Okay....There were only two models of that motor in 1995 E065101 & E070287[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. I am not a Force person but I seem to remember they had labels inside the engine cover........

I will move this to where you will get better answers ;)

PLEASE Get a repair manual!!
[/FONT]

Thanks Bob... I have looked there but all I see if foam. I have also written every number I can find on the engine components and tried to x-ref for possible specific eng P/n install only, but all seem to be usable on multiple years and HP engines. I will find something some way.. I just have to keep looking.
Re: Ordering the engine manual... I did..from here...last Sunday..the day after I got the boat. It was supposed to come in Tuesday but still not arrived. I contacted online support, who could not even check until Monday about order stat.
I decided to CXL order, effective monday for a refund and chk out local Bass Pro shop...Maybe I'll get lucky.
Thanks again for the suggestion and the information. I will also take pis from multi-angles of the Engine and boat and post them tomorrow. Thanks to all those who replied... and didn't just remind me of how stupid I was...lessons learned.

Last edited:

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Please put up some pictures of the engine with the cowl off. You can upload them to something like a photobucket account and post links or the image code. Then we can see what you see and you will most likely get a lot of help.

Nordin

Commander

Please pics of the top cowl with decals and the hole Engine to. This will help use to identify it.
Also check after a sticker on the starter mountingbracket.
I have a 120Hp and a 90Hp where the ID plate at the transomclamp are unreadable but there are stickers at the starter mountingbracket with modelnumber.
One has the Prestolite ign.system and one the Mercury ign.system but both are from 1992.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Once the decal with model number has been peeled off the transom clamp, the word VOID appears on the remaining glue--so someone peeled off the ID for some reason.

I'm not sure about later force engines but earlier ones had a number stamped into the block on the port side near the top cylinder head. If this number is there you can call Mercury Customer Service and get all the info on your engine.