1997 force 50 hp poppet valve

swamp indian

Recruit
I'm having some overheating issues. Pulled the thrmostat and found it stuck open but not all the way open. So my question is does the 1997 force 50 have a poppet valve if so where is it located? Can not seem to find it on the parts list.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 force 50 hp poppet valve

Nothing other than the thermostat to control water flow. No "poppet" valve. Replace the thermostat and while you are at it replace the water pump impeller in the lower unit. All the overheat problems will be solved.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If the themo was stuck "open" then it should have ran too cool????
Like Frank said change the Impeller.
You run in salt water there in India?Profile,location.

swamp indian

Recruit

Oklahoma, no salt here. Was told from the previous owner the impeller was replaced about 4 months ago. Gonna add a tale tell to make sure it's pumping. If it's not the impeller. Do you think it's the head gasket?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You didn't say exactly what your overheating problem was but it is a sure bet that a partially open thermostat is adding to the problem. Unlike autos, a broken head gasket usually will not contribute to overheating.

As I said before, replace the thermostat and impeller. No matter what the previous owner said, do it. Impellers can be destroyed in as little as 30 seconds. The 20 bucks it costs for a new one will be worth the peace of mind and it is not a difficult job to do yourself.

You can also run without the thermostat until you can find a new one to install.