puddle drain WOW!

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Re: puddle drain WOW!

well that a HUGE relief!

that means the check valve system did not work at all!

I really cant wait until the ice melts so I could see the difference of my idling

thanks guys so much

mike

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Good call Frank. I'd forgotten about this style of puddle drain.

One other thing to check on this type of fuel re-circulation system is the small holes that go the the By-Pass passage on the engine block. They're very small and clog easily. They're highlighted in red below.

IMG_3412.JPG

Looks like the one on the right has a piece of crud blocking it. Didn't notice it until I uploaded the picture.

Jiggz

Captain

Take note, the drain puddle recovery or fuel recovery system works basically when engine goes up to speed. If engine idles for a prolonged period of time, fuel will still puddle despite a fully working fuel recovery system. In short, prolonged idling is always bad for this 2 stroke engines even with a fully working fuel recovery system. The good thing about the fuel recovery system, is that when the engine speeds up in rpm it will start collecting the fuel puddle and send it back to the intake manifold or adapter.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Here is a picture of Micklovin's motor with red arrows pointing to the puddle drain covers. Yours are located in the same spot on your motor. 4 bolts hold each cover on.

View attachment 222932
Sorry just wanted to look at my old girl 100 again sigh, and yes Mikey did cleaning your puddle drain help and what are the thoughts of others here when it comes to the maintenance of these? Are you able to just take the hoses off regularly and blow moderate compressed air threw them or do you need to have this as a yearly maintenance program of fully dismantling them.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
In 1988 they changed from the reed valve to just a screen.
They changed the dogbone too.
Some had the reeds some didn't.
The black stuff you see is a carbon buildup.
F429811SCREEN about $1.25
Replace the gasket and install new screens.2 of them.
This should be done every year or 2.

Steverino74

Seaman Apprentice
Did you ever find the gaskets? Get the screens ok? I didn't know what these things were, so thanks for posting. I have an 87 Force 125 and I am worried now about having the reed. I read somewhere they can deteriorate with age. Can I replace mine with the same type in the pics above with the check valves..if I can find them? I'd like to check mine so gasket and screen info would help. Thanks! - Steve

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Steverino74, I wouldn't worry about them deteriorating, as mine in the Chrysler where S/S reeds and the reed system works fine.
Thanks Jerryjerry for the maintenance schedule on them, I didn't know how often you would check them so thanks!
The reed is only about 20-25mm long and about 6-7mm wide with rounded ends, well that's on the Chrysler anyway, held down by one metal thread screw, just check there isn't any clearance when checking Jerryjerry?, I would think if it is a reed set-up you would like to see no clearance or very minimal? The reed would hopefully be not bent either.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
well for me I did not see any real change..

but my only worry now is there was a mention of the screens. I was told it would be best just remove them totally.

can that cause any issues now? I do see some king of hesitation while engine is warming up