puddle drain WOW!

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
here is the puddle drain on my 1988 125

imassuming the black stuff is not part of the gasket.
when I rubbed it the black stuff coming apart like fiber material
is that normal?

can I go ahead and remove all the gasket its pretty stuck on it

thanksIMG_1383.jpg

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Re: puddle drain WOW!

after removing the gasket I could see EVERYTHING was plugged...

do I remove the screens? if so how they very tiny

the channels and the screens were covered with back debris that was somewhat grainy..

therefore the puddle drain system was none existent... maybe that's why I never had consistent idle speeds?

thanks

Jiggz

Captain

In that drain system there is supposed to be some kind of check valve or reed to prevent the cylinder from sucking air from the other cylinder. You might want to check on an exploded diagram to see the parts inside. that black stuff you are referring to could just be that reed which has deteriorated beyond recognition. Boats dot net has the diagram and might as well get all the parts.

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The screens are press fit into the recess. Some folks just remove them all together. Just take a small sharpened nail and catch the very edge of the screen and pull it out. When I deal with them, I usually try and leave everything intact. You can use some carburetor cleaner and spray into the screens, channels and valves to clean them out as best you can. You can test the valves by sucking on the small hose that attaches to the drain covers. Be careful, you might get a mouth full of crud...don't ask how i know that. LOL! You should only be able to suck in one direction. If you can suck and blow in both directions, then the check valve is bad.

If you have any doubts about the gaskets, replace them to be safe.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know what to say...
I looked at a few websites in regards the model of engine I have 1988 1251x8c but the engine does not look the same..
the major difference is the powerhead does not look like mine it is a figure 8 style the and all the models I see have a rectangular shape.
I don't have a reed or srcrew it that area but do have a valve...
can someone tell me what I have? maybe they changed head?
I actual just found the head it looks like! it looks like the head of a 1995 is that possible?

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

the major difference is the powerhead does not look like mine it is a figure 8 style the and all the models I see have a rectangular shape.

If you are referring to the shape of the fuel pump (figure 8 style) and you have a model 1251x8c, that's what you would expect to see. Rectangular or square fuel pumps weren't used until the mid 1990's or so.

Doesn't matter what type of recirculation cover drain valve you have, reed, screw, brass fitting etc, as long as it works, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They all do the same thing.

If you can post some detailed pictures of your block, ignition system, flywheel, etc. we might be able to tell you more or less what year power head you have.

I run across a lot of motors where the power heads or parts have been swapped out from different years.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Everything that I see is consistent with what I would expect to see on a 1988 125HP motor. It has the Prestolite ignition system, recirculation mounting pads where the drain covers mount on the block look correct, finned cylinder head cover and US Marine sticker, earlier style figure 8 fuel pump.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer

Everything that I see is consistent with what I would expect to see on a 1988 125HP motor. It has the Prestolite ignition system, recirculation mounting pads where the drain covers mount on the block look correct, finned cylinder head cover and US Marine sticker, earlier style figure 8 fuel pump.

ok thanks!!

but I don't have any reeds also there is only 1 hose from the fuel pump to the puddle drain.

on boat dot net tells me I have them but I really don't the black stuff on my image is the gasket that swelled up due to ethonal I guess.

so do I put reeds even tho I don't have the same puddle drain?

sorry for to much questions

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Questions are the purpose of this Forum.

The hose from the puddle drain goes to a fitting the By-Pass cover. It just so happens that the fuel pump is mounted on the same By-Pass cover. It may appear that the hose goes to the fuel pump, but if you look closely it actually goes to the By-Pass cover itself.

The reed check valves on the drain covers were used on the earlier Force motors. I can't remember exactly how they did it on the 1988 motors, but I do know they didn't use reed valves like on the early force motors.

The upper drain cover has passageways cast into the underside that faces the engine block. It is slightly different from the lower drain cover which has the hose attached. Clean them up with a liberal shot of some carburetor cleaner, replace the gaskets, and you should be good to go.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

What is a puddle drain, and where is it??? I have a 1988/125, but I have never checked the puddle drain. I know I have one- I empty it a few times a day LOL;-)

But seriously what is it's function and where is it????

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Here is a picture of Micklovin's motor with red arrows pointing to the puddle drain covers. Yours are located in the same spot on your motor. 4 bolts hold each cover on.

IMG_1513.jpg

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Here is a picture of Micklovin's motor with red arrows pointing to the puddle drain covers. Yours are located in the same spot on your motor. 4 bolts hold each cover on.

View attachment 222932
I feel naked now, you just pointing at my puddle drain like that, I can't help it's old :crazy:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

LOL! Didn't mean to come across like that. It may be older, but it looks to be in excellent shape!

Jiggz

Captain

On the later Force models, the check valves are actually built on the elbow hose connectors. Look at this diagram and note the directional arrows indicated where flow is permitted and not permitted.

Fuel Recirc System.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

In 88/89 they used 2 different styles of check valves and reeds setups.
The early had the reeds and screen and had a 2 piece setup, the later a 1 piece with just a screen.
The newer style,I have found on motors as old as 87.
The 85 up to 91 used the reed and screen.Then got rid of it when Mercury took over.
The screen might be hard to get?F429811 $.51 apiece.

Now that much crud on the ones in the picture??The air screws were probably not set right?

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer

well I don't have the reed system and looked at web sites for a gasket #. all of them are not correct for my model.

the shape of the gaskets to not match mine. do I need to make one? it looks like a no hole gasket system it just seems its a seal.

im I correct?

jerry it seams you have seen these puddle drains before can you please tell me witch model of gasket it is?

thanks

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer

well I screwed up!

I think I blew the valves trying to clean them with my air compressor.

air flow and carb cleaner can go both ways now and I still cant find the part number for my valves

u could see them in brass valve on the puddle drain cover.

or is it only a brass fitting that determines the amount of flow?

im bumbed hope someone has any ideas

IMG_1391.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

CALM DOWN! Those are not reeds, not check valves, and are not destroyed. The brass fittings are METERED ORIFICES eliminating the need for reeds and valves.. They are sized so that just enough pressure from the crankcase will blow through to push the puddled oil and fuel yet not enough volume will be lost if there is no oil there to hamper charging the cylinder.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander

Yes as Frank says these are not as the older stainless steel reeds/checkvalves as the reeds in the manifold intake.
Now they are clean and will work as supposed.
They are made just to make enough pressure and act as a checkvalve.