1997 Force 40 in snow....

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
My outboard is running fine in this below freezing weather, but it doesn't seem to move my boat through the 2 feet of snow in my backyard...I believe it's a 10x15 prop...do you think I don't have enough pitch? Or is it the nut behind the StarCraft steering wheel cover? (Frank I do have Force in the post.)

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Re: 1997 Force 40 in snow....

You forgot to unhook from the trailer silly rabbit

My outboard is running fine in this below freezing weather, but it doesn't seem to move my boat through the 2 feet of snow in my backyard...I believe it's a 10x15 prop...do you think I don't have enough pitch? Or is it the nut behind the StarCraft steering wheel cover? (Frank I do have Force in the post.)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Your problem is that the 1997 Force has thru-hub exhaust. The snow has clogged it and you are getting too much back-pressure. Clear the prop for free exhausting and she will go fine through the snow. In fact, because snow is way lighter than water, you should get less drag and more speed.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone, I've tried some of these tricks on our new foot of snow, trouble is, I live in a town called Graniteville, and some of these big rocks aren't marked properly during the Winter...in my back yard....

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone, I've tried some of these tricks on our new foot of snow, trouble is, I live in a town called Graniteville, and some of these big rocks aren't marked properly during the Winter...in my back yard....
Nope !! Sorry guy's, you've got it all Wrong. Wind her up to top rev's THEN cut the mooring lines.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I woulda done that....but alas....last night my neighbor put out "No Wake" buoys....in my back yard....somebody has always got to ruin the fun....

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

What no video!!

Funny you should ask about that...that's part of the reason for running the boat in the snow...with the depth sounder/chart plotter on, towing an AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicle) I borrowed from Wood Hole, trying to locate the camera that slipped off the dash into 2 feet of snow before the Mrs. starts missing it...and we have another 6-12 coming Thursday...I've got a grid pattern going, but the drifts are getting steep...and my (dastardly) neighbor brought a few frozen perch home from the tourney up Winnipesaukee over the weekend and threw them in the snow, so now I'm marking fish...it's hard to distinguish between the fish, tools my kids left out in the yard, beer cans, bottlecaps...I don't know, I'm loosing hope....I'm getting ready to mount a radar arch on my StarCraft and see if I can pick it up that way...plus fuel's getting low....do you think I need a ground plate on the aluminum hull for all these electronics? Electrolysis? Will the rectifier on my 40 handle 140 amps of draw?

Last edited:

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

MAN ! Are you ever doing things the hard way ! First 140 amps is clearly not enough, You would need double that. The best way to solve your problem is to purchase an app that allows you to use a government spy satellite to map out what is under the snow and where it is. Next take a bottle of kickappoy joy juice over to your (dastardly) neighbor and during your repast suggest that he help you with this problem. Then you can have him hold the boat back instead of having to cut those expensive mooring lines. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Make sure your stabilizers are full up.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Believe me....after a few cocktails he wanted to use water skis behind the boat.....good idea about the drones....whenever Amazon starts delivering packages with them...we'll call it "Skeet shooting with prizes".....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I seldom recommend Doel-Fins, but in this case they may be just what the doctor ordered. And if the bow begins to plow, knock off two birds with one stone and clean off the walk and driveway. :D

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I seldom recommend Doel-Fins, but in this case they may be just what the doctor ordered. And if the bow begins to plow, knock off two birds with one stone and clean off the walk and driveway. :D

I'll try it, I'm going to have to get a new depth sounder if the snow gets any deeper.......

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Believe me....after a few cocktails he wanted to use water skis behind the boat.....good idea about the drones....whenever Amazon starts delivering packages with them...we'll call it "Skeet shooting with prizes".....

snow is more conducive to barefooting...