1988 125 Force

bowhunter304

Cadet
I currently have a 1988 125 force motor on my fish& ski boat & I was wondering what the actual horsepower the motor is & is there anything you can do to speed it up ?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 125 Force

It is 125 horsepower at the prop. If you swap the lower unit for a 2 to 1 ratio lower unit and increase prop pitch by two you should gain somewhere between 3-8 MPH.

Nordin

Commander

fisheymikey you can check the gearratio by screw out the sparkplugs then put the gear in forward.
Turn the flywheel two turns and check how many turns the prop does. If ratio 2:1 it should turn 1 turn, if 1,93:1 almost 1 turn.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Also, on black force lower units read mitsyman's post "Interesting fact on force lower units" #3 indicated 2 to 1 and #4 indicates 1,7 to 1.

ALL dual exhaust lower units and units with Mercury water pumps are 1.9 to 1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

For more speed, You can put the engine on a smaller boat LOL

Seriously though. the first thing you need to do is check compression to be certain the engine is healthy. Good compression would be around 145 PSI. Poor compression would be one cylinder or more below 60 PSI or a difference of more than 10 PSI between cylinders. A cylinder at 20 or less would indicate a rebuild is necessary.

Next, check the carburetors to see if they are opening correctly. Watch the tutorial video at the to top the forum.

Check the current prop to see if the engine is overpropped or underpropped. The correct pitch prop will allow the engine to reach 5000-5500 RPM at full throttle. If you do not have a tachometer, you can either search for a 20 pole tach and permanently mount it in the dash or you can buy an inexpensive tiny tach with which many here on the forum have had good results. I have never used one.

Now if all that checks out well and you are still getting low speeds you can do some internal modifications and change to aftermarket reeds ( which I believe really don't do much). You can port the bypass side, but porting the exhaust side will actually yield less horsepower. Porting is the procedure where you manually grind the ports square, increasing the area and allowing the engine to make more horsepower.

working copy.jpg55MPH.jpg000_0049.jpg

Here is a 14 foot boat that delivers 60 MPH with a stock 125 and a 2 to 1 lower unit. Yeah, for reasons best left unsaid, the decal says 85.

However, understand that there is no magic bullet. I experimented for many weeks and months before I hit that speed. Understand that this boat is small and light, allowing the engine to push it fast. On a bigger boat It simply will not go that fast. It is basic physics.

On the forum, we can tell you some hints, but ultimately you must be motivated and do the work to get the most out of your engine.

Last edited:

bowhunter304

Cadet

My 125 force is a single exhaust pushing a 18 foot vip fish and ski that 1028 pounds it only going 40 mph with one person in it. The compression 120 psi the prop is 17 pitch and rpm 4600 if I rebuild it is it possible to get up to 50-55 mph

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

my boat is 19' and hull weighs about 1250. With my family on board, I can get 40 gps with a 17p at 4600. And I get around 38.5 at 5100 with a 15p. The boat is much happier with the 15p. I hit 41 once with just me in the boat.

I would think and 18 or 19 foot boat has no hope of more than the low 40's with a force 125. I know my hull doesn't seem to be a fast one but it handles the waves real good. My dad's boat is a hull like yours and he gets almost identical speeds.

I too am thinking of changing the lower end from 1.73 to 2, but they are not the easiest to find in my area. I know ebay has em but the prices are too steep. But I want it for a different reason (skiing)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If you swap the lower unit for a 2 to 1 ratio lower unit and increase prop pitch by two you should gain somewhere between 3-8 MPH.
This is only if engine stays at original rpm or gains a couple hundred rpm. The 1:7:1 ratio if you can still turn it at 5000 rpm with a 17 will get ya about 10 mph but will have a slow hole shot and a bear to pull a skier.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The 125 is actually a relatively "weak" engine. It has to do with the small diameter piston, long throw crankshaft design, and high ratio lower unit. The 120 is actually a better engine--but, you make do with what you have and the 125 is still respectable. Given the size of your boat I suspect that 40 is a decent speed. Decent, but not really good.

4600 RPM is at the bottom of the full throttle operating range and these engines are happier at the higher side 5000-5500.

However, you can play with engine height on the transom by jacking it up one inch if it is not already. You want the anti-ventilation plate (cavitation plate) about one inch above the bottom--unless it is a notched transom in which case you can usually go a bit higher. Post a photo of the engine and transom when you get a chance.

If you are using an aluminum prop, generally speaking, a stainless prop in the same pitch will give about 100-200 RPM more and about 1-2 MPH faster.

Again, turning a higher pitched prop through the water slower is more efficient because of less parasitic drag so if you install a 2 to 1 ratio lower unit, the engine will turn the same RPM but because of better efficiency the 2 inch increase pitched prop will deliver more speed.

Again, these are all items that you need to experiment with and you must change ONLY ONE thing at a time and evaluate results.

Compression is a little low for a 125 BUT it could be just gauge variation. You MIGHT be able to get to 50 but I really don't think so. I suspect that high 40s is attainable but 55 is definitely out of the question. I did a rebuild on one of these engines for a fellow with a Bayliner 18 foot fishing hull. After the rebuild with a fresh engine, he got 47 with the two of us in the boat. (gauge, not GPS)

At 120 PSI with all cylinders being equal, a rebuild is simply not needed and a waste of money. First, put some hours on the engine with a slightly fat mix of oil--say 40 to 1 and see if compression comes up. Try a different tester gauge if possible so you can see if yours is reading low. Next, if you are still dissatisfied with compression try a decarb treatment.

Last edited:

bowhunter304

Cadet

The cavitation plate is close to the bottom of the transom after I moved it up one hole last year trying to get pictures to upload

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

I get 44mph out of my 17" bowrider with a family of 5 on board. I don't know what you are trying to achieve, if there is a bridge to bridge race for antique boats, then squeeze as much out of it as you can, if, on the other hand, you are trying to get to your favourite fishing hole a pooteenth of a second faster than your mate, then wringing the neck out of a 20 odd year outboard may be in vein.

I am more than happy with ay 44mh.....could it go faster-sure, but I am not about to go chase my tail, and spend massive coin to squeeze an extra 6mph out of the boat.

The same cam be said for cars, you can spend the majority of your money chasing the first couple of hundred MPH ( or KPH for me) and then , when you really dial it up, the last few MPH ( or KPH) cost the most.

Look at a professional racing car team, they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars chasing a tenth of a second per lap.

Up to you, but I'm happy with 44MPH.....;-)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Valid point Justin but he is complaining about 40 with only him in the boat. You are getting 44 with a load of five people. I think his speed should be higher too. With proper "tweaking" He should be able to get the speed up some and not worry about overtaxing the engine. Yes, you are correct also in that the design is old school and there is not much you can do to modify it. Porting can only go so far and a new design loop charged engine will always outperform it.

Bowhunter: You do not have a notched transom so I would start with the anti-vent plate about 1 inch above the vee. It would have been nicer if one photo showed the engine in the down position.

bowhunter304

Cadet

I would be happy with 44mph with 5 people in my boat with 2 adults and to children it's 33mph and 3700rpm with a17 pitch prop with a 15 pitch prop same speed higher at 4700rpm

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

I would be happy with 44mph with 5 people in my boat with 2 adults and to children it's 33mph and 3700rpm with a17 pitch prop with a 15 pitch prop same speed higher at 4700rpm

OK. that is more helpful info. Something must be a little off with the engine then - your speed shouldn't be dropping that much with the load. With my 15 prop i'm around 40 with just me, 38.5 with family of 5 - 2 adults and 3 younger kids (we weigh about 600 lbs total). this summer I had a full boat with 7 people (about 1000 lbs) and i was still running around 37. My rpm swing from highest to lowest is only 400. My cylinders tested at 148-152. I borrowed one from the local AutoZone. I did run several tanks of gas with Mercury Quickleen for one month before i tested my compression - so it might have helped me. Only giving this info so you have some kind of comparison for a simalar boat.

I don't know if you have checked that your carbs are fully opening ? I slightly tweaked that on my boat and got a few hundred rpm when I first got the boat. and of course your hull might be happier with the engine higher. I know you would have to re-drill for that b/c the force 125 only has 2 holes. Post that pick from the side like this one:

View attachment 218720