1998 50 hp force by mercury marine water pump question

rolltider1989

Recruit
Hello I have a 1998 50 hp force by mercury marine and I just replaced the water pump and took it too the lake and it's just spitting water out the back it's not a steady steam or flow is this normal?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 50 hp force by mercury marine water pump question

You probably need to explain this a bit more, are you spitting water at slow idle/fast idle, or forward slow/forward fast? Did you test it before you took it out with muffs or in a bucket.
I have a Chrysler and with muffs on it spits it out, in a bucket it flows much better so in the lake I would expect after the Thermostat opened it should be a reasonable amount, mind you mine still spits but more water is flowing, but that's my Chrysler. When you replaced the water pump, did that include the housing, impellor, and plate or did you just replace the impellor and if so how was the housing and plate any sign of wear? Sorry to ask more questions but clarification is good.

rolltider1989

Recruit

I tried the muffs first and it would spit at idle and spit more at rev so took too lake and same effect and the housing and plates where good I just feel like their should be a steady stream peeing out and I'm just getting spitting and splatter

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

As I remember, that has a stainless water pump body. Are you certain the impeller key is located on the shaft flat? are you certain the water tube and adapter is seated correctly on the pump body? But most importantly: Is the engine overheating?

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spitting out the three holes just below the cowl in the back is correct, the majority of the water comes out through the prop. I wasn't happy with that and put a tell tale in by putting a 90 degree brass fitting and hose in the brass plug just above the thermostat.