Chrysler 100HP Purple charging/signal wire for Ammeter??

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys, just another quicky, Can you set up an ammeter on the purple charging wire of the 100hp chrysler, and if so do you know what size shunt i would need for it. Also what's a good quality ammeter for these motors or wouldn't you guys use one??? I am an electrician by trade so no problems wiring one in, just unsure if purple is your signal and suitable to run an ammeter and what size shunt.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 100HP Purple charging/signal wire for Ammeter??

As connected in the wiring diagrams, purple is a half wave AC wire. That is, it takes AC from only one lead of the stator and is usually reserved for some type of tachometer.

Thus it is not suitable for an ammeter. Now, if you attach the purple wire in the cable to the red terminal, then you could measure voltage and amps===IF the purple wire is capable of carrying the 6-8 amps your stator can deliver.

MickLovin

I can beef up the purple cable no problems, Why do they mark the purple as the generator cable, confuses me that. So yes I can increase the purple size by running another same size cable in parrellel, so I take it from the purple wire goes one side of the ammeter marked - but not a negative and the other side goes a fused red from the battery which I have at the moment to my fuse panel and it is 1/4 inch gauge or 6mm in Australia. so from battery fused positive to + on ammeter and from rectifier + to - on ammeter sound right?

MickLovin

this look right? basically not the same motor but ammeter wiring should be same?
ammeter.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I can't comment on the wiring schematic It is small and I can't read the captions. besides, I'm OK with basic wiring but ammeters confuse me--they need to carry full delivered amperage or be shunted and I never did one.

The purple wire is labeled "generator" (probably) because the wire colors and schematics were taken directly from West Bend and never changed until Brunswick started manufacturing the engines with Mercury parts.

MickLovin

To be honest it's not a biggy, I will notice if it isn't charging as I check my volt meter every time, as I give the motor a flush every week, every time when using. Also I pre charge before going out and have 2 x batteries in parallel. Plus a solar panel :p