1989 15 HP Force - Won't start

TexasGent

Recruit
Howdy all,

I have this 1989 15 HP Force outboard that ran fine last year and then I pulled it out this year went to the lake and it ran for a little bit then died and hasn't ran since. I thought it was bad gas as first so I got new gas, but nothing. I noticed that there is gas/oil/junk coming out of the bottom hole in the picture I have attached. Also, the primer bulb in the fuel line won't get/stay firm. I noticed a leak coming from the primer bulb on the outboard itself so I called a guy and ordered a new one and that will take a couple of days to get in. However, I am concerned with the fluid being spewed from that hole in the picture.

BJV5ZYY.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: 1989 15 HP Force - Won't start

It's probably the fuel pump diaphragm, split/cracked and leaking fuel directly into the engine's crankcase. Those old rubber parts were not rated for ethanol, so they get hard and brittle. Cheap and easy fix, $10-15 for the parts and probably an hour of time. Even if that isn't the problem, it's still a good idea to replace it due to age.

The carb could have a stuck float or bad needle/seat, but I wouldn't look at that until the fuel pump has been rebuilt.

If the water pump impeller is over 2 years old, now would be a good time to change it, along with the lower unit's lube (use new gaskets on the drain/fill screws).

fishrdan

Admiral

That's the one!

Check it during dis-assembly, probably split and cracked.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's the one!

Check it during dis-assembly, probably split and cracked.

Had the same problem on my 100HP Chrysler primer bulb wouldn't get hard and fuel was coming through from the crankcase and coming out the same sort of holes. When I bought the motor it ran fine, by the time I got it home I couldn't prime it and it wouldn't start and sounded like it was flooding. Diaphram!

TexasGent

Recruit

Awesome, thanks. I ordered part impatiently waiting for it haha

TexasGent

Recruit

This blasted thing! Started and ran while using the waterhose. I guess i didnt let it run long enough because when i went out to the lake it started then died and then took me forever to get started again once i did get it started it ran like crap. I had to run it with full choke to get a consistent power, otherwise it would like lunge. The thing died and stopped started as well.

It seems like it isn't getting fuel. The primer bulb would not get firm it seemed like the pickup in the fuel tank isn't working so i bought a new tank, but I haven't gotten to test it out yet other than priming it without attached to motor and pushing the nipple at the end of the hose which got the bulb to pull fuel from the new tank. I think once attached to motor if it isn't getting firm the carb float is stuck possibly.

fishrdan

Admiral

- Squeeze the primer bulb several times and look for leaking fuel, if fuel leaks out air will also suck in under normal operation. (Check fuel quick disconnect closely.)

- Once you get it running and it starts to stumble/die, squeeze the primer bulb and see if if it starts running correctly. I've had to keep pumping the primer blub on several occasions, to get back to the dock... The fuel quick disconnect was leaking air into the fuel system.

Oh yeah, don't use a hose/earmuffs on this little outboard, submerge the lower unit in a tank of water, IE: garbage can full of water.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

take apart the fuel pump and clean it with some carb cleaner. reassemble the fuel pump and blow out the line with some compressed air. this happens cause the fuel was not drained from the fuel lines before being stored. its happened to me for a couple of years now. fuel stabilizer will not prevent this.

as for the black sludge coming out of the hole, I've noticed that as well on mine. i believe its carbon build up in the exhaust chamber and when the motor is out of the water the carbon build up starts oozing out. cause its saturated with water, gas, two-stroke oil, etc. dont worry about it.

its just the fuel pump on it clean it and you should be fine. or clean the carb bowl that should do it.
good luck

1991 force 9.9hp

TexasGent

Recruit

Alright, I went ahead and tore the fuel pump and carb apart and cleaned them out. That along with the new gas tank seems have to fixed the problem. I get easy and quick pull starts, I just hope it stays like that when I take it to the lake! The only minor thing that I noticed now is a jingling sound. I'm not sure how to describe it other than that but it sounds like a bell getting hit/scraped other than that seems to run like a top.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited: