Kill switch on Chrysler 100HP

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
HI, does anyone know if the Chrysler 100HP came with a kill switch, I am thinking of installing one as I am always fishing in my boat by myself. Thought it maybe a piece of mind, but also I like to move around the boat so not sure. :confused:

Nordin

Commander
Re: Kill switch on Chrysler 100HP

I do not really know, but I think there were no kill switch (lanyard switch). The only way to stop the engine is to turn off the ignition key.
But you can add one and depending on whitch ignition system you have, Motorola Magnapower I (beltdriven distributor) or Prestolite self energizing magneto typ. The function is opposite between these two, the Motorola typ use 12VDC from battery/rectifier as powersource and the Prestolite typ use the stator under the flywheel to generate a AC current that charge the capacitor in the CD box.

To stop the Motorola system you break the circuit that supply the ign. with 12VDC. Soo the function of the switch must be closed when it is not activated and when activating it break/open up the circuit.

To stop the Prestolite system you have to ground out the CD box/boxes and in this case the function must be open when it is not activated and closed when activating.

I think your engine is equiped with Motorola system. Chrysler changed the system to Prestolite in the early 80s and looking at the cowldecal on your engine it is a 1980 year model. But it can be eguiped with Prestolite.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Nordin, it is a 1979 model with I believe to be the Motorola system which would use a normally closed switch in series with the blue wire ignition switch or the red supplying the ignition switch, the blue supplies the electronic box, I was unsure if Chrysler actually did one, I am an electrician by trade and have no problem with the wiring. Would you know also if the hole in my surface mounted remote is for the ignition switch or a start light, I believe they also made a light which indicating start, they have one on Ebay but want $35US plus $22 US delivery, I can buy an industrial indicating light for $10 at the most which would be stainless surround.

Nordin

Commander

Okey, if you are an electrician (I am too) no problem. Put it in series with the blue (ignition) wire then you only kill the ignition but no accessories.
The hole in the remote control is for the ignition keyswitch. Chrysler had two typ of keyswitches one with a shorter body for the remote control and a longer one for dashboard mounting.

Last edited: