Differences between a 1972 12.9hp Chrysler and 6hp Chrysler

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys,
Bought a 12.9hp motor for $23.30, I cleaned it up which involved repairing a hole on the right hand side as you look from the front, I opened up the hole to find more corrosion, after cleaning the area I prepared a metalic bog and bogged over the hole while covering the exhaust vent with a piece of stainless moulded to cover the hole but not let the bog in, unfortunately some of the bogged seaped and created fumes to enter the cowl, Rather then spend more time on this motor, I am able to obtain a 6hp for $100 is there much difference between the 6 and 12.9 as the power head on the 12.9 has just been refurbished and runs great,could I get a welder to weld a hole without filling the exhaust part, or am I better off just putting the 12.9hp head on the 6hp. The other problem I would have with the 12.9 is that it must have a bad gasket between the power head and the leg as it fumes into the cowl. So to be honest, I'd rather do up the 6hp as I unsure of how to repair.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Differences between a 1972 12.9hp Chrysler and 6hp Chrysler

Hi Mick

The difference is about 6.9HP at W.O.T..........

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yea ok, after checking the parts list I doubt I could swap heads over as the gasket below the heads are different, but thanks for that wonderful bit of info Justlinde :rolleyes:

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

I am a wealth of information ;-) Sorry Mick, maybe the other guys won't get it, but that was some dry Australian Humour ( attempted) at its best ( or worst?) ;-)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Completely different engine and lower unit. Nothing is swappable.