1999 Force 90hp Loss of Speed and Missing

craazy

Cadet
Been trying to figure this out for a month. All started with the bottom carb. leaking a small amount of fuel and the motor was slightly missing. Not missing badly enough to worry me. Had a mechanic take it apart, clean it out, fix the leak and put it back together. Got it back, no more gas leaking, took it to the lake and the motor ran alot worse. It would idle pretty smoothly, but as soon as I mash on the gas, it starts missing. But once I get to 3/4 of a throttle, it's smooths out some with a small miss here and there, and I'm doing about 34mph at that. Mash the throttle down all the way from there and it starts missing more and wont pick up anymore speed than 34mph. When the motor is running normal, I usually get the boat running in the mid 40s wide open.

Figured this definatly had something to do with the carburetor since that was the only thing that was messed with. Had a buddy come out and we pulled the carbs off and took them apart. Cleaned them out, snychrinized the floats. Only thing was that the needle in bottom carb had a small crack, replaced that. Put them back on and ran to the lake, motor still ran bad.
Checked compression, checked out good on all cyl. Took a look at the fire, cyl # 2 was only firing sometimes. 2nd wire on trigger wasn't giving off voltage, replaced it and checked fire again... 2nd cyl. was still only firing every once in a while. Another mechanic in town let me borrow a set of coil packs, stator and regulator. Cyl 2 is now firing just fine all the time, but motor is running no different.

Put new spark plugs in and ran the boat, got back and checked the plugs and found water. Turns out there was alot of water in my gas tank. Sucked all the gas out, put half a bottle of seafoam and fresh 100% gas in the tank and ran it. Motor still missed quite a bit coming out of the hole but ran alot smoother wide open and motor trimmed up. But still at a loss of speed.

My powerhead gasket appears to be blown, the gasket at the bottom of the powerhead. Water is spitting out from there into the bottom of the cowl, I am told this is excess water from the water pump that meets with the exhaust and is blown out of the back of the motor and should'nt be causing it to miss. We also checked the plugs with this going on and after I had taken the bad gas out, and no water was showing up on plugs. I'm obviously going to replace the gasket soon, but I'm curious to see if any of you think this could be the problem?

If the timing gun is right, the timing on the motor is reading 10 millemeters on the low side and 30 millemeters on the high side. Should be 3 on low and 20 on high. Again, not sure if that could cause the motor to run like it is.

The only other thing that I haven't done is adjust the air/gas mixture screws on the carbs after adjusting the floats. (I'm waiting to have someone do it that knows what to do)

All the fuel lines are tight and secure, fuel pump is good, rebuilt it a few months ago and checked it again to be sure. Also, the motor is turning 55-5600 RPMs as it always has.

That should be all the info I have on what's going on with this motor and what we have done to it. My brain is about fried but I'm set on getting it running good again!! LOL

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Force 90hp Loss of Speed and Missing

Fill out the profile,location.
You might be close to someone who can help????

If there is ANY water or ANY air leaking from a cylinder it ain't gonna run right.
My motor,88/85 was starting to miss.The compression was at 150 on all 3.
There was a miss even with no water in the cylinder.
The head was removed and a tiny,TINY spot on the edge of the gasket was blown.
Do another comp test,what was the original #s?

The spot where the waters comming out? Is it at the base of the head or the base of the block?Pics with pointer or some way to show the spot.

The excess fuel may be the enricher/chokes diaphram gone bad and supplying excess fuel.Try pinching off the supply line after it's started.

The air screws,you can do it.
Set them at 1 and 1/8th turn out.
Then set them after the gasket's replaced.

Last edited:

craazy

Cadet

Fill out the profile,location.
You might be close to someone who can help????

If there is ANY water or ANY air leaking from a cylinder it ain't gonna run right.
My motor,88/85 was starting to miss.The compression was at 150 on all 3.
There was a miss even with no water in the cylinder.
The head was removed and a tiny,TINY spot on the edge of the gasket was blown.
Do another comp test,what was the original #s?

The spot where the waters comming out? Is it at the base of the head or the base of the block?Pics with pointer or some way to show the spot.

The excess fuel may be the enricher/chokes diaphram gone bad and supplying excess fuel.Try pinching off the supply line after it's started.

The air screws,you can do it.
Set them at 1 and 1/8th turn out.
Then set them after the gasket's replaced.

Thank you for the reply.

I took a couple pictures where the water is spitting out, hopefully I can upload them.
I don't have the tool to check compression, not even sure what the numbers read, but we have taken two tests and both read good numbers as far as I know.

Got a mechanic in town that alot of people vouch for, hopefully getting this motor to him within the next couple days to get his opinion and to replace the gasket.

In the meantime I'm just asking around like on here to get opinions and different thoughts on the motor... Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated, I'm set on figuring this out and hopefully learn some more about my motor in the process. Thanks!

Attachments

• gaskett.jpg
    gaskett.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Gasket.jpg
    Gasket.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the worlds best forum;-)

I have a 1988/125 and took it to a mechanic with overheating issues. He wanted $1000.00 to replace the waterpump. Without naming who helped me on this forum as I do not want to leave anyone out, but with everyones help on this forum I have done the following work in the last 2 years:

1: Replaced Waterpump
2: Replaced exhaust plate/manifold
3: Linked and Synced the carbs/timing
4: lower unit oil

All of this for less than $200.00

I am also in the middle of repairing my Power Tilt Trim unit ( Jerry/Rrit please read my latest post;-))

I am no mechanic, but I liked building leggo when I was a kid. You need some very basic tools, a little faith and some patience in waiting for a response. I can't vouch for this forum enough. I love my Force, it runs well, I know how to fix it, and for a 20 year old engine, it goes just fine.......

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You should not have any water spitting out of there, even with a blown gasket because the bottom of the block is closed there. And no, that is not spent cooling water or "excess" water. Spent water is emitted through the bottom of the head, through the match plate and enters the midleg well below where you have the leak. It can not rise back up against gravity.

Thus, I suspect that the exhaust chest cover gaskets are leaking water into the exhaust chest and exhaust pressure is blowing it out there, This could be the cause of your miss. So, your next step would be to remove the exhaust cover and stainless plate and check/replace those two gaskets. You may also possibly have a perforated stainless plate in which case, that would need replacing too.

Low speed needles in the carbs are set initially to 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. Usually, they run well at one turn out. DO not go leaner: This risks damage to pistons. Do not try to adjust carbs until you get the engine running correctly--It will be an exercise in futility.

craazy

Cadet

Thank you guys so much for the advice.

Onto the exhaust chest. I have no clue. I was sitting here and looking at this (pictured below) and wondered if this is where you get to the exhaust chest? Or do you just have to take the whole powerhead off to get to it?

Again, the help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I think it's sealed with sillycone.
The block heats up and cools down and it eventually pushes the sillycone out.
The water/exhaust flow through a passage in that section.

Yes that's the exhaust chest.

Yes to fix that leak the powerhead needs to come off.

Very important that leak can cause the motor to starve for air and run crappy.
Try to jam some silicone in there, put it on thick.
Might slow it down?
The leak is on a mating surface so be careful when taking apart.