12.9HP chrysler model 122HC 1972 or 1

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys, I need to rattle your brains for a lower unit gear oil seal for this model chrysler and also the impeller part no. I am not sure but I think the part number for the seal is F901307-2 and I think the impeller is F436065-2 but I am not sure on either and would like someone to advise

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 12.9HP chrysler model 122HC 1972 or 1

Everything will be the same as for Chrysler 9.9 through 15 and early Force 9.9 through 15.

MickLovin

thanks mate
its my new spare I got on ebay for $23.30 ROFL, it runs but didn't pump water so I pulled impeller apart and checked, it looked ok could use a new one, I emeried inside the housing as it was getting a bit pitted, lubed and put it back together, the bloke who had it before had put one gear housing bolt in the water pump housing so I fixed that and am hoping it will pump water, it needs a new seal on the housing and under it, as it had clear water in the lower unit, also a couple of the small holes in the gear housing where blocked so I cleared them as well. I have changed the gear oil as it was black and thick. Don't know much about these motors, I believe the recoil on the pull cord isn't workinh either.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That recoil is a PIA. Typically it does not turn the flywheel fast enough to start the engine unless the ignition is in tip-top condition. What usually happens to the recoil is a plastic adapter at the bottom of the spring breaks and the spring unwinds. The rope will no longer recoil. The plastic part is still available.

To repair, you loosen the top screws and move the recoil assembly so the gear clears the flywheel. Loosen the top screw in the assembly and drive out the bendix gear retaining pin. Now simply pull out the spring and if it does not come out, fish out the plastic.

Re-insert the spring tab into the plastic and secure it. Slide the spring back into the assembly. Using a 10-24 bolt with a hex head and a not, screw a couple of turns into the top of the spring assembly and tighten the nut. Using a hex wrench reverse wind the spring with the rope fully wound on the spindle. using an awl, align the holes in the outside and inside, and the slot on the bendix gear. Re-insert the retaining pin. remove the 10-24 bolt and insert the original screw to lock the retaining pin in position.

Nordin

Commander

122HC is a 1972. The 12,9HP was made from 1971 to 1973. Almost everything from 9,9 10 12,9 and 15HP are swapable. Props are different in pitch. 9,9 and 10HP had prop with two blads as std. 10 12,9 and 15HP had three blads.
As Frank says the recoil can be tricky. I use to preload the recoilspring about 10-12 turns. The factory manual says 8-10.

The partno. for the seals are right, do not forget the propshaft seal to.

MickLovin

Thanks Nordin and Frank, have the seals ordered, this motor used to be started by a battery drill and socket LOL, I could have my battery drill with me I suppose, it may be even a easier way to start it. Props is good nick, the motor needs a paint strip and sand with a large corrosion hole starting in the leg, I will be grinding the corrosion out and filling with a metal/fibreglass filler, does that sound right in regard to the corrosion? The corrosion is on the upper part of the leg so there shouldn't be any problem as it isn't near the gear box.

MickLovin

ok the spring seems to have gone into its self and it looks to be bent??:confused:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

something else learned. never occurred to me to use rechargable drill and socket for starting when starter fails, although maybe an old trick. The autoelectric starter is on top of the flywheel, after all. I like it.

MickLovin

looks like a new spring as well

Nordin

Commander

Post a pic of the recoilspring. It should be bent at the lower end. There is a hole in the plasticholder were the end should be put into.

I use plasticfiller (Plastic Padding brand) when i restore an Engine.