powerhead force 125

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
Hi
I have a force 125 1988
I remove the head and gasket
How do I prep the head and block?
Do I use sandpaper to remove small leftovers bits from the gasket?
Acetone?

Any guide line would be great

Thx

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: powerhead force 125

You can use sandpaper, but you should stuff some rags into the cylinders to prevent any grit or other stuff from falling into them. You can also use a gasket scraper or a single edge razor blade. Just be careful and don't gouge the sealing surface since it's relatively soft aluminum. Wipe down with acetone to remove any oil residue and other crud.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

NO! Do not use sandpaper. You can not control what and how it removes and it will remove metal from the sealing surface. As mentioned above, use a single edge razor being careful to keep the edge perpendicular to the cylinder bores. OR buy a specially made disc for removing gasket residue. It will remove the paper and polish the aluminum without removing any metal.

Jiggz

Captain

I soaked the remaining crud with alcohol or acetone, scrape it off with a box cutter blade and then use brass wirebrush for finishing. As mentioned stuff the cylinders with rags to avoid debris getting into them.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I spent many hours cleaning all the surfaces on my rebuild. Probably overkill, but all I used was single blade razors and a bit of gasket remover. I found it best to pull the razor on angle like an ice scraper.