Force 40 Battery negative lead cnnection and trim/tilt loom

Virgin

Recruit
Got a new (old) boat and never had a Force engine before, and came with no battery cables and a mystery plug.

I need to know where the negative battery lead goes, I have tried directly on the engine block with the positive to the opposite side of the starter relay. Nothing happens, no tilt and no starting.

Second there is a three pin female plug hanging out of the control box. From the masses of wiring diagrams from my manual it looks like trim/tilt connection. Do I need a loom to the engine connecting to this plug for the trim/tilt to work?

Cheers and thanks anyone in advance:D

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 40 Battery negative lead cnnection and trim/tilt loom

Do you know what year the motor is? A photo of the ignition system and the mystery connector might help.

Yes negative lead is bolted directly to the engine block. Positive lead goes to the starter relay. With the battery cables connected, you can test start by shorting the terminal on the starter relay that has the small yellow wire attached, to the terminal that comes directly from the battery. This will energize the starter relay and engage the starter.

Sounds like you may have some wires that are not connected correctly.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 40 Battery negative lead cnnection and trim/tilt loom

The mystery plug is not the tilt/trim. It carries the overheat and tachometer leads. Tilt and trim is hard wired into the control box with the switch being in the control handle. IF there is no rocker switch in the control handle, the control box is not set up for tilt/trim.

Inside the engine cowl in the main wire loom but separate from the connecting plug (if it is a Mercury wired engine) will be two bullet connectors: A green and a Blue. These are the tilt/trim and must be connected to their respective female bullet connected wires. Near the electronics (again with Mercury wired engines there should be two black plastic relays. Check to see if they are working.

With regular Force ignition wiring and US Marine control box, the switch is still in the handle and the blue and green wires are still inside the engine, but the relays will be in a different place.

There should be a smaller red wire with a large ring connector attached to the battery side of the starter relay. This charges the battery AND supplies power to the engine systems and ignition switch. The engine MUST be in neutral to enable starter cranking.