New boat high and dry due to tilt and trim issue. Advice please

glennkil

Seaman
Guys. Old thread that should have been buried (like the engine) but the tilt now bleeds down quite quickly. Cant find parts listing for this engine with tilt and trim but want to replace the valve body. The cylinder assembly is stamped 455545 which I have found was used on the following engines in the link. It lists the valve body used on those engines as F17564 which is readily available on ebay. The parts diagram that pnwboat so kindly highlighted for me identified the valve body as FK654541. Unless I'm wrong these are the same part? Your guidance greatly appreciated.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
It appears that the FK654541 might be the part number for the reservoir and valve body. If you Google it, it shows the reservoir without the valve body. I would guess that the F17564 part number on E-Bay may work, but you're in uncharted territory here so I'm not 100% sure.

Your other option is to replace the two seals in the valve body.

Here is a link to the procedure. Be aware that there are a couple of variations in the valve bodies so it may not look 100% like the one you have but the procedure and seals are the same. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...trim-drop-help

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Glenn, link removed, remember Iboats is an online retailer and dont post links to their competitors

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
glennkill, the repair of the T@T leakdown is fairly easy if the motor has never been in salt water???
But even then it can be a bugger to get the valves out of the pump body.

The only thing you need to disassemble is the 2 valves.
​The pump itself: nothing in there to adjust or repair.

The #s that pnwboat gave you will fix the leakdown F17564 if the problem is the valves??
There is a leakdown test that should be done before any repairs are attempted.

glennkil

Seaman
Thanks Jerry, the boat has hardly seen any saltwater use in its life but does now. I just did the water pump and it was a breeze. Everything came apart easy and slotted back together as it should. I have the seals for the valve body now (Briggs and Stratton) and will embark on that shortly. I gather there are another 2 O rings I need find as well? I also took the advice from Frank (shocked and saddened to hear about his passing) and put some bolts through the mounting brackets. Boat was slower to steer at low speed but planed much better and got an extra 200 RPM in top end. This is only 4200 RPM which I will start another thread on. To Jbcurt00 my sincere apologies for posting a link to an outside retailer. My bad.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 2 o-rings.
If you can't find them? Just reuse the old.
They were not part of the problem.

4200 what prop?
Size of boat?
Load?
Pic of the boat.