1989 Force 125 Good or Bad?

bytwnracer

Cadet
Hi I am looking at buying a wellcraft boat that has a 1989 125hp force motor. I wanted to buy boat with intentions to repower but this motor is running good. It fires right up and has a perfect compression of 145psi on all 4 cylinders. The only bad I can see is the bottom skeg is almost completely broken all the way to the bullet. Lower unit oil is clean with no water. I am tempted to leave this motor on and try to repair bottom skeg. Any advice should I scrap it or are they good motors with care? I have never owned a force I have always been a fan of yamaha. Thanks for any advice.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 Force 125 Good or Bad?

If your intention was to repower anyway, I would just put the engine up for sale and reinvest the proceeds into the purchase of the engine you really want.

bytwnracer

Cadet

Yea that was the idea but with this motor working so good I think I am talking my self into using it.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

mine is like that too - 150lbs of compression in all cylinders. Starts easy runs good all day long. Just don't expect more than 40-45 mph. Sounds like it was taken care of - i would would get a skeg welded on and run it.

Capt Ken

Commander

With Force motors you either get good one or bad one. If you get a good one then just keep it till it craps out. You wouldn't get squat for it anyway if you tried to sell it and you can get those stainless skeguards that just bolt on. Might give you time to find a good deal on a used motor later down the road.
You won't find a more simplier motor to work on.

Jiggz

Captain

The missing skeg can easily be replaced especially if you have the capability to do alum welding. There's a Youtube video showing how to properly do it. I have the same 89-125HP and love it because I can do most of the maintenance thus saving money.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

100_5942.jpg100_6197.JPGworking copy.jpgresized55.jpgGlastron mermaid.jpg

While quite a nice engine, the 125 in stock form is a little weak and under heavy loads usually does not do as well as later Force 120 engines. Depending upon the size hull, 40 MPH would be very optimistic.

A1990 125 on my 21 foot cuddy only drove it at 33-34 MPH. I swapped it for a Chrysler 140.

NOW: Mounting the engine on a 14 foot flat bottom (Third and fourth photos) and changing the lower unit to a 2 to 1 gear ratio and going up top a 21 pitch prop gave 55 MPH. Overpowering the 15 footer in the last photo yielded 47-50. This past season, the engine was sold and mounted on a 24 foot pontoon and surprisingly actually gave very good top speeds.

Again, while overall a good engine, those years did have the occasional problem breaking the semi-keystone top piston ring

Last edited:

bytwnracer

Cadet

All good info guys! I am going to use it until it dies on me, then I will switch to a yamaha 150. I have towing service so that makes me feel better. Its on a 1989 wellcraft 180 sport that looks brand new except for a bait well cover that is cracked nothing a little fiberglass cant fix. I am buying boat from orginal owner and he says it has less than 200 hours and was stored inside his shop its entire life. All for $1700 which I think is very reasonable. I would pay $1700 for just the hull. I had one a few years ago and really like them.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you use it until it dies on you, you might be ready for a pontoon by then anyway.
I have an 89/125 and ran it for 6 years before any major issues and it never left me stranded.. (bought it used in 2006 and didn't know anything about outboards)
You service your vehicles don't you? You notice when something sounds wrong with your vehicles?
Now with a $1K rebuild, mine runs like new again, pushing the old 19' cuddy 32-35 mph. (fast enough for me)
As with anything, some are lemons, some are not.
I'd run it long as I could, read this forum on proper maintenance, and don't worry about it!

(BTW, Merry Christmas to all on the forum!)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Remember it's a 125 and not gonna turn you into a drag boat!
They are a good motor and can last a long time.
They aren't as economical as a new fuel injected motor.
My twin 85's are very dependable.
If you take a yam apart your gonna find the same technology the US motors have been using.
The yam uses the same block as the Mecury on some of their motors.