Chrysler 70 hp won't start

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
1979 Chrysler 700 skier 70hp engine 709H79A. Ran fine a couple weeks ago. Went to start today, nothing. Choke engages, battery is fine. I can start it by jumping it accross the solinoid. Ignition key switch is a year old, but I will start there. Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Chrysler 70 hp won't start

Jump the solinoid and it works. Why not start there?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you can start it with the solenoid.
Then start testing there.
Test light???
Have someone turn the key as you check for power at the yellow/black wire on the solenoid.
Just cause it was new a year ago,doesn't mean it's good now.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the wrong terminology... not the solinoid, but rather I'm jumping it across the starter relay. I have power to it on one side, and should get power to the other side when someone turns the key. No power on the other side. I have no power on the yellow/ black wires when sitting, but when I turn the key, they power. So the relay is being powered, but won't power the starter... good ignition switch, bad relay switch... Correct?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

relay, solenoid,,,,, tomato, tomaaaato. First, If it don't click it ain't work'n. Even if it does click the contacts inside could be bad.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I figured everyone knew what I was talking about! Anyway, one last question. I took the relay off and did a continuity test on it. If the relay switch is bad, why would I still get continuity? I'm obviously not a mechanical and electrical genius. Just don't want to spend $50 on a part unless I'm sure that's the problem. I'm pretty sure it is, just thought that a continuity test was a proper way to test if a switch is bad or not.

Thanks again for the input... this forum is great!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Yu should have an almost short through the coil that actuates the part that connects the big wires. But that still doesn't mean the contacts inside are good.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Did you test the neutral interlock switch on the shift linkage? If the yellow wires are broken or if the switch is not closing, then no matter what you do at the key, the solenoid will not close and crank the engine. However, choke will still work.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great info. I already ordered the starter relay. After the fact I went and checked the neutral safety switch both at the switch and at the end of the yellow wires.... All working properly. I was testing the starter relay at the power terminals and not the terminals that the power comes in and jumps across to the starter, so basically I was only confirming that the switch was getting power... duh! Anyway, i'm now 99.9% sure that is the problem. Waiting for the part and will keep you posted. Thank you again for the input.

wickware

Lieutenant

I will usually open the relay to verify the bad contacts. It?s normally a rivet head or so to get inside and copper contacts I want to see the condition of. Contacts are ?Usually Bad? if I have gotten years of service. I like to see why a part is bad if it?s simple to see and reasonable. If you decide to take a look, please share a Pic.

Attached is a 1970 35 hp Chrysler original since my purchase in 1984 that is still working.

Attachments

• 1970 35 HP Chrysler Specs (1).jpg
    1970 35 HP Chrysler Specs (1).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

And of course make sure the battery is properly charged.........believe it or not, the solenoid needs a good 12 volts to work, where as when you jump it the starter will turn the engine over with as little as 4 volts....the same with tilt/trim relays, they like 12 volts, the trim motor will turn with much less...

Last edited:

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMAG0321.jpgIMAG0322.jpgIMAG0324.jpg

Here are some pictures of the inside.... copper coil deep inside looks good but the contacts on the bar that jumps the power to the starter are junk. Thanks again everyone for the input. New part coming tomorrow... hopefully boating friday.

Big Fish Billy... nice to see a fellow northerner on here. I'm from Gloucester and my wife and I still spend the summers up there!

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same to you, I'm watching over your old haunt at Cranes and Wingaersheke.....