1989 Force 125hp Head gasket, which one is correct?

Cyclone

Seaman Apprentice
Pulled the head on my 1989 1251E9B 1001, the gasket w/the openings was on there. The gasket I bought has none, but from what I can see it should work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
=====================

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 1989 Force 125hp Head gasket, which one is correct?

I guess the one with openings was designed to improve heat transfer or cooling on the head which I thought is immaterial since there is water passage from top to bottom. However, the gasket without opening is sure stronger having material to support the cylinder seal of the gasket. Nothing to worry as far as I know just make sure you torque in steps and proper sequence at proper settings.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The new gasket won't cool the head as effectivly as the old.
It shouldn't make too much difference.
The good thing is it shouldn't go bad as quick.
All the extra paper will seal it better.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The gasket with the holes around the perimeter was the original type used on early Chrysler and West Bend engines using a water tube down the center of the head for cooling. These heads also had the perimeter relieved so water could flow through the gasket holes and cool.

Newer design Chrysler heads and Force heads are solid and have an external cover forming a full water jacket on the head. They do not need the perimeter holes. However, since the factory already had the gasket stamper, they continued to use the holes, rather than re-design the gasket maker.

In fact, using the solid gasket will result in the same cooling AND less corrosion from water trapped behind the gasket. While either gasket is acceptable for use on your engine, if I were buying a new one, I would prefer the solid gasket.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all, solid gasket installed..sturgeon hunting scheduled for Sunday AM.

Jiggz

Captain

Goodluck. They have many of them at the Columbia River . . . and they are good fighting fish!