1997 Force 40hp trim tilt

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
The trim tilt motor on my unit always works normally going up and most of the time down, sometimes not going down without a few clicks of the button and usually making a squeal type noise going down. I was reading, after a search of trim tilt problems, about a manual type way of putting some motors up or down, do I have this on my unit, and where might it be. I can imagine myself being out somewhere and it not going back down. Also, what do you guys recommend for fluid, haven't checked that yet. Do I fill it with the unit tilted up?

Thanks,

Bill

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Force 40hp trim tilt

IF your engine has the tilt/trim pump with the white plastic screw on the side, simply unscrew the thing until the engine drops. Careful though: If you unscrew it too much you will leak hydraulic fluid.

RRitt

Captain

i would avoid using the MRV on 1997 40HP. it is a weak link to start with and the more that you use it then the weaker it becomes.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies, I don't foresee using the tactic unless I'm stuck somewhere, just wanted to know how to do it. I'm working on other things right now, waiting for gaskets, just wanted a few ideas when I get around to this. What do you recommend for fluid for my unit?

Thanks,

Bill