1989 force 85 hp Won't start till gas is put into cylinders

windless

Recruit
I have a 89 force 85 hp that won't start till I put gas into each cylinder .Then it starts,and will start the rest of the day. then the next day same thing .I replaced fuel filter, new squeeze ball on gas line, new gas and oil.fuel tank cleaned out.
Could you tell me what I should do. thank you Al

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 1989 force 85 hp Won't start till gas is put into cylinders

First things first:
1. Install a clear fuel filter between the fuel pump discharge line and the carb's fuel inlet.
2. Verify each carb fuel-air mixture screw is set 1 turn out from slightly seated.
3. Make sure you follow proper starting procedure as follow:
- Place control lever in fast idle position (depending on model, pull out handle towards you and push forward or push center tab and push forward)
- Engage choke by pushing ignition switch and keep pushing while turning and starting
- Keep starting or cranking for about 10 secs or until the engine coughs or starts. If engine coughs, the starter will disengage. Release ignition key and turn to back to stop. Start the engine again but this time without engaging the choke (to prevent flooding the carbs). Usually the engine will start after the 2nd or the 3rd time. If it doesn't, try starting with the choke again. If it still would not start, it's time to check for sparks.
4. If the engine manages to start, after warming up place the throttle control handle back to neutral and check the idle rpm. It should be around 900-1100 RPM in neutral and around 700-800 in gear.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pushing in the key and holding it in as you turn it over?
Do a compression test too.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might also want to make sure your choke is working properly.