1982 Chrysler 105hp starting issues

devl

Seaman
Long story: (skip down if you want the short and sweet)

I need some advice to see if Im overlooking anything. This motor has always been finicky in getting started but it has always been a fuel related problem usually flooding until today.

I went out in the yard and started the motor and she fired right up so I didn't notice it actually cranked slow. Went down to the ramp and launched and tried to start and she barely cranked over and of course wouldn't start. Brought her home and tried starting in the yard and again barely cranked over.

I just charged the battery but I tried another one I know was good and no deal so I figured maybe one of the battery cables. Used jumper cables from the battery to the solenoid...no dice. Tested the Neg cable just in case and still barely cranked. Pulled the spark plugs and tried and it turned over like a beast like it should with no compression. Plugs back in and pulled the flywheel manually and it seemed fine.

So I guess my only question is if a bad starter can still crank the motor over like crazy w/ no compression? Or am I forgetting something else to look at? The starter is less than a year old but I dont know what else it could be unless Im missing something.

Short and sweet:
Motor barely turns over
battery and cables checked out fine
turns over fine without compression (spark plugs out)
starter less than a year old

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1982 Chrysler 105hp starting issues

The three usual culprits are, 1) battery, (load test) 2) corrosion, (clean all connections to shiney metal) 3) starter, (disassemble and clean) PS the starter to engine mount is a ground

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The starter could be dirty and need cleaning/rebuild.
Maybe a loose connection.
Maybe a bad battery cable.
Possibly low compression on 1 or more cylinders.
Remove all the plugs and do a compression test.

stubtail

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had a similar issue. A fully charged new battery would hardly crank over a 105 - not fast enough to get her to start. Replaced the relay with no noticeable improvement. Pulled the starter, and disassembled it to find the lower armature bushing was oblong, and the armature had been contacting the magnets. Obviously the brushes were not aligned ideally which further compounds the problems. Anyhow, threw another starter on and presto, cranks fast and fires up almost at the turn of the key.