1997 Force 40hp - How Come? Shift linkage.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had my lower end down a couple times to work on my water pump, starting in neutral, each time I put it back, the boat was in gear when I started it. I popped the shift linkage off and manually clicked it into neutral and adjusted the linkage to match. Same thing happened today, seems like it has to go back to where it was before I did it the first time. Is this normal or what am I doing wrong? I'm sure the shift linkage you have to undo to drop the lower end is exactly in the same position each time.

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1997 Force 40hp - How Come? Shift linkage.

Do you have a manual for your engine? If not, let me know and I will try and download the info and get it off to you.

Gerry

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, not yet, I guess I better get a hold of one. I got the water pump fixed for now. On to the exhaust/water leak.

carholme

Rear Admiral

The OEM manual you require is P/N 90-831250R1 and you can see it in the parts listing under Literature and Paint. Those prices are not the lowest on the net so you may want to have a look around to see if you can find a better price. I'll see if I can get information for adjusting the shift linkage for you.

Gerry

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Gerry, I put the shift in neutral, took out all the bolts, disconnected the vertical shift linkage two nuts (remembering exactly the turns) did my work and put it back together. When I started up the prop was turning. I took off the cable linkage and got the motor into neutral and noticed the adjustment was about a 1/4" off, so I adjusted the cable. All was fine but not pumping water with the earmuff. Took it down again, put it back and the adjustment was back to where it had been when I started. And I could have left it alone because when I sunk it this time in a cut off barrel of water, water was pumping everywhere....