4 hp Force- 1985 driveshaft install in lower unit

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, so I'm replacing an impeller, a simple job, right? I can't get the driveshaft back in the lower unit. Does the pinion fall out of place? I shake it around and something is rattling..... No gear oil is in there.

Do I just play around until I get the pinion in the correct spot to get the d/s splines to line up? Is that the problem? I never had something so stupid happen and I don't want to tear apart the gear housing as it is practally brand new and I don't want to cause any other issues because it runs fine.

Thanks,

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4 hp Force- 1985 driveshaft install in lower unit

Just keep pokin it in there.
Flashlight,long skinny screwdriver.It will help align the pinion.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Just keep poking if you want to take a month! If you want to get it done the same day, you really need to open the gearcase. The pinion falls out of position and unless you are real good with a screwdriver or real lucky, chances are slim to get the driveshaft back in.

You can try turning the whole lower unit upside-down in hopes that you can wiggle the pinion back into position, but of course, gear oil will get all over, even after draining the unit.

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I got it in and just want to double check... is there a thrust bearing in there? Is there any other pieces that may have fallen out and will cause damage once started? Seems wierd that a pinion can be free to move around!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Nothing else.
It's worked for a long time on a bunch of motors.