Adding tilt and trim to a 1989 Force 50hp.

irwin1970

Recruit
I would like to add tilt and trim to my 1989 Force 50hp. What would I need, if possable. Thanks.
Code:
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding tilt and trim to a 1989 Force 50hp.

Picture 244.jpgPicture 246.jpg
Welcome.
The T+T unit is gonna be hard to find.
The stuff for a 50 is smaller than one for an 85/125
The pump is the same.The trim cylinder and trim ram are different.
I think the transom brackets you have are the right ones.
The tilt lock and things will be removed.
You best bet is find a junk motor and swap parts.
I sent you a PM.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Depending upon your engine, the swivel yoke MAY be incorrect. Some did have provision for the upper bolt on the tilt cylinder and the stainless saddle for the trim ram. Some did not and can not be modified to fit. SO: If your engine does not have the correct swivel yoke, you will also need one and believe me, it is not a pleasant task to change this part. I will include a couple of photos later.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7477.jpg104_7476.jpg104_7475.jpg104_7474.jpg

If you do find a tilt/trim unit, be certain the stainless saddle comes with it. They are even more difficult to find than the units themselves. The saddle would fit over the close-up of the white swivel yoke in the photo and is absolutely necessary to prevent fast wear on the yoke itself. Damage on the white yoke can easily be seen in the photo.

Last edited:

RRitt

Captain

power tilt is easy because surplus mercury 10-25HP rams will fit. But if you give it gas the cylinder will fall down to your stop bar.

It may be possible to rig a 70HP 1994 force cylinder to fit as a single center mounted ram. There would be no guarantees that everything would have clearances needed to reach all angles. It would probably work and probably be more reliable but it would probably have some quirks. It would definitely take extra effort.

Good and sure power trim is difficult because you will need the original force parts. I have a rebuilt trim laying around the shop somewhere. 50HP can not use the same tilt cylinder as 85HP and it would be difficult to track one down. A used system is likely to be on the verge of worn out. Most trim pumps last 18-20 years. Prestolites seem to last a few years longer but it has been over 20 years since they were made and most will be on borrowed time already.

CMC is a decent option but requires taking enigine off boat and re-mounting onto a jack plate. Steering cables don't always clear or reach new location.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Nyuk-Nyuk!

I bought one last year, NEW, in the box, COMPLETE with all the parts including wiring and switch, AND a replacement swivel yoke for 75 bucks. It was a dumb luck find. I didn't need it but the price was just too much to resist. NO, it is not for sale. I'm still waiting to put it on something.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Is it against the rules to offer trade's???
Just so happens I have the saddle.
Both units I pictured have almost no hours on them.
Have rebuilt starters and fuel pumps.
Carbs from an 87/85.
In fact,I'd be willing to trade for parts from a 85/125 mid to late 80's early 90's
Both of my tilt cylinders on both motors leak down.
PM me if anyone's got stuff??
I need the transom brackets with the bolts not the screw downs.
And the tilt cylinders.
Salt water is tough on stuff!!

Last edited: