1989 force 125 hp no spark

ptibbitts

Recruit
I have no spark, tried taking kill switch out of system by removing white/ green stripe wire that comes off both cdi blocks. Should I have 12v coming from ing. switch to all posts on port side bracket or are there different voltages? I have no voltage on any posts at all on starboard side. Someone said to look for tilt safty switch, can't find that? Tried new kill switch, nogo on that .Please help

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 force 125 hp no spark

No tilt switch.
Outboard ignition . com
Or CDI Ignition . com
Both have test procedures.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

IF NO FIRE ON ANY CYLINDER:

Disconnect kill wire AT THE PACK.
Check for broken or bare wires on the unit, stator and trigger.
Measure DVA voltage of the stator between the output wire sets. With everything connected, readings should be approximately 180 volts or more. Resistance readings between the stator wire sets range from 680 - 800 ohms.
Disconnect the rectifier. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.

khnitz

Cadet

IF NO FIRE ON ANY CYLINDER:

Disconnect kill wire AT THE PACK.
Check for broken or bare wires on the unit, stator and trigger.
Measure DVA voltage of the stator between the output wire sets. With everything connected, readings should be approximately 180 volts or more. Resistance readings between the stator wire sets range from 680 - 800 ohms.
Disconnect the rectifier. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.

I think I'm facing the same problem with my 1990 Force 120 - engine turns over but doesn't fire. Using a Check Spark, it's now reading a low voltage on each cylinder's spark plug wire.

The trouble started after starting the boat and idling to get it ready to pull out of the water for the season. I let the engine run/idle while I removed the cover from our lift. Once that was done, I turned the engine off, then went to start it again and there was no reaction. I came to find that the B (12V from the battery) contact on the ignition switch had cracked off. I replaced the ignition switch, but still struggled all day last Sunday with the engine not turning over. Once I verified all the wiring between the ignition and kill/safety switch to the motor, and installed a fully charged battery, then I could get the motor to turn over, but had poor/low spark readings.

After reviewing the forums here and the troubleshooting guide at outboardignition.com, I'm thinking that my rectifier is fried. I'll try disconnecting that and see if the engine will start (and if it does, then I'll be replacing the rectifier). The stator and trigger contacts Ohm'd out correctly, btw. There's a slight sign of overheat/melt on the rectifier body near one of the mounting screws for the rectifier, which also makes me think something is up with it.

khnitz

Cadet

I disconnected the rectifier and tried to start the boat, but it still didn't start. Although this time around the Check Spark showed low spark on Cyl's 1-3, and no spark on Cyl 4 (where this morning it showed low spark on all 4).

And, so much for measuring the rectifier or otherwise testing it...as I was removing it from the powerhead it slipped away and into the river. Son of a !@#@#%@#$. Looks like I'll be getting a new rectifier, at least :facepalm:

submariner1980

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check grounding wires from both CDI modules to powerhead and grounding wires from coils to powerhead.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You should start your own thread.
First do a compression test.
Then replace all the wire ends,the connection under the shrinkwrap can be bad.
The having spark and then no spark could be the connectors.
How are you testing the spark?
You need a spark tester or sparkies.
Holding it against the block isin't the way to do it.
Usually "weak" spark is the stator.
They used 2 types of ignition systems on the 1990/120
What do you have? Pics?