Water pump impeller and thermostat questions '89 Force 85

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I'm getting ready to start some repair on my '89 Force 85. I have a manual in case; but are there any strange things I might come up with; seems kind of straight forward: cotter key;6 bolts; 1 hidden in the exhaust; should come off? Also; any suggestions on taking the thermostat screws out without them snapping off? Have some other stuff I want to do too: overheat sensor; and change LU grease. Any suggestions would be appreciated.RF

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Water pump impeller and thermostat questions '89 Force 85

Penetrating fluid and an impact driver. Good luck

Jiggz

Captain

Usually, the t-stat cover screws are not that hard to remove unless they are really rusted rotten. They're flat tip screw driven so that means not a whole lot of torque. If the slot if stripped use vice grip for removal and replace with new ones.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer

Usually, the t-stat cover screws are not that hard to remove unless they are really rusted rotten. They're flat tip screw driven so that means not a whole lot of torque. If the slot if stripped use vice grip for removal and replace with new ones.

Thanks for the tips; will take all the info I can get.RF

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

IF??? The motors been in salt water.
The thermo screws can be a B to remove.
The last one I tried to remove it took me almost 3hrs to get the screws out.
I had to use a torch and a hammer and vice grips and PB Blaster.
Try the screwdriver and if that won't work then PB and heat and tap with the hammer.
Repeat until the screws loosen.
You'll probably melt the thermo seat so buy one along with a new thermostat.
You can test the sending unit.Dunk it in a glass of hot water and hook to an OHM meter.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer

Got a update on my situation! Have been PB blasting every chance I get; even broke a very good Craftsman screwdriver trying to loosen the bolts. Hate to heat it up; might damage the head gasket. Also got the lower unit off. (heavy ***) Pulled the impeller housing; found impeller stuck to housing; and housing is pitted very bad. Called about parts: impeller kit $99; but does not come with housing; $88. Any more thoughts? RF

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The head gasket shouldn't get that hot.
It's all aluminum and heat disapates quickly.
$99 ??? Where are you??
Pics of the housing? Mine both look like they'd never work and the pitting is bad.Yet they work fine.
I use a 2"sanding wheel to remove anything stuck to the housing.Just don't take too much.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer

JJ; it is bad; probably .050 at least. Again the impeller was stuck inside the housing. (Came off the shaft stuck) Am thinking about taking to a machine shop to see what they can do. Also thought about a wheel cylinder hone. I'm in Texas; fairly close to the Gulf; and closer to two lakes that have more jet skis than fish. Don't know of any OB graveyards here yet. RF

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a cracked housing.
Paid $45 for kit, impeller and housing. (125hp)
Shop around.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Put a pic.
You'd be surprised to see some of the housings that still work.
If your is reallllllly that bad??
I might have one?

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was taking NO chances with the new motor...

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer

Have another update! Got tired of squirting and tapping with that thermostat. Yes; it was a B; and her son was snickering in the background. Required some heat; and the vise grips; but they are out. (very rusty. They are going with me on the maiden voyage.) Also found that the overheat sensor horn was bad; fixed that. Now I got to hook up a kill switch. It is not the original switch; and the letters are illegible. Will look in the FAQ section. By the by; thanks for the help. RF