RRitt. 1990 Force 120hp outboard 1208X90C. Do you rebuild tilt & trim units?

Jeff1222

Cadet
RRitt. I have 1990 Force outboard 1208X90C. Tilt & trim unit is leaking down. I have been told the pump & motor assy 853515A1 is leaking down and replacement is no longer available. I recently purchased a used complete tilt & trim unit and installed it. The used unit has the same problem. Now I have 2 complete tilt & trim units. I have been to several repair shops and they say no parts are available. I can't find anywhere to rebuild pump and motor assy or the complete units. Do you rebuild the pump & motor assy? Or do you rebuild the complete units? Thanks

Jiggz

Captain
Re: RRitt. 1990 Force 120hp outboard 1208X90C. Do you rebuild tilt & trim units?

I know for sure if you search RRit on evilbay he still does T&T rebuilds. Or you might just want to PM him on here.

RRitt

Captain
Re: RRitt. 1990 Force 120hp outboard 1208X90C. Do you rebuild tilt & trim units?

yes, there is a flat rate rebuild for chrysler valve bodies listed on feebay and it will fix your bleed down problems.

The motors are generally not worth rebuilding. You can get 2w trim motors for around $150. You can also get 3w trim motors for around $75 and N.O. relays for $10. With N.O. relays you can drop the cheap 3w motor directly into a 2w boat without modification. It is impossible to cost justify rebuilds when new is so cheap. The only time "rebuilding" a motor is worth the effort is when the motor is in perfect condition and you're just putting new seals on it. Once rust gets inside, it's at least $200 to do a proper rebuild.

there are also aftermarket valve bodies for $70-$160. They are all the same product from same manufacturer regardless of price. I could not honestly reccomend putting one on a 90HP. It's not up to the task of trimming a big engine.

Last edited:

Jeff1222

Cadet

RRitt. Thank you very much for the reply and info. I believe the motor is good on my units and the pump is leaking. What is involved in dissembling valve body from motor housing? I have never taken one apart but in looking at it, it looks like draining the fluid, taking off the 4 hydraulic lines, and taking the 4 bolts out. Is there anything I would need to do when reassembling besides adding fluid and running the motor up and down to bleed the air from lines?

RRitt

Captain

actually, it works better to take pump off boat before splitting motor from VB. take two tubes loose from pump and two tubes loose from cylinders. Remove pump with two of four tubes attached. Put pump upside down in bench vice and take off remaining tubes. Undo four screws and lift off VB. Dump out old oil. Install is reverse of above.