Chrysler 9.9 HP won't rev under load. Newbie here

wsmc923

Recruit
I just purchased a 1982 Chrysler/Force 9.9. It purrs great in a bucket (50 gallon) and when placed into gear in the bucket it will rev great. I took it out to the river today an fired it up, backed it off the trailer, put in in gear and puttered out to the deeper water and opened it up. It rev'ed up slightly to barely get the boat moving about 5 mph, maybe. Nothing more. We started to run shallow to I trimmed the motor up one hole and it would rev up high, but when placed back down, it would bog down again. Impeller is sucking and spitting water like a champ and the carb was just rebuilt at a marine shop. It has a 2 blade prop and is pushing a 14 foot v-hull aluminum Blue Star. Is this a prop issue? The fuel is 91 octane at 50:1. The previous owner put a new primer bulb on it along with new lines and brass fittings. The marine shop put new lines on the motor. Bulb pumps hard and stays that way. Plugs look good. I am stumped that it will rev up in gear when in the bucket but not at the same depth in the river. Also, I need help figuring out how to rewind the starter rope. I am putting a new one on and can't figure out how to rewind it. Thanks in advance you all.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 9.9 HP won't rev under load. Newbie here

The float level might need adjusting?
The carb dirty?Even a rebuilt carb can have crud?
The fuel pump diaphragm bad.
The bulb shouldn't necessarily stay hard.
It's used to push fuel to the carb and then it's job is done.
Then the pump takes over and as it runs it relieves the pressure.
The gas lines, they could be soft and collapse or the inline connectors(use OMC or Yam) are bad and sucking air.

wsmc923

Recruit
Re: Chrysler 9.9 HP won't rev under load. Newbie here

Thanks! The carb was just gone through and leaned. All fuel lines in the motor and from the tank to the motor are new. I don't know about the fuel pump. During the first initial run I broke the starting rope so I'm taking it I a guys today to fix that. Gonna have him hi ahead and look at the other issue.

The float level might need adjusting?
The carb dirty?Even a rebuilt carb can have crud?
The fuel pump diaphragm bad.
The bulb shouldn't necessarily stay hard.
It's used to push fuel to the carb and then it's job is done.
Then the pump takes over and as it runs it relieves the pressure.
The gas lines, they could be soft and collapse or the inline connectors(use OMC or Yam) are bad and sucking air.