steering compatibilty for chrysler

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys i have what im hoping is an easy fix.. Im looking at picking up a doral to put my 1972 chrysler 70hp on... But this boat uses the newer steering that bolts to the transom clamps and uses the stainless rod to turn the motor.. The boat i have uses the older style. the cable is bolted to the boat
And connected directly to the motor via a swivle bolt... Can i use the clamp that holds the steering cable to the boat in this newer boat or am i kinda up a certain creek

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering compatibilty for chrysler

You have three options: 1. Use the hardware on the old boat. It will swap to the newer cable. 2. replace the transom clamps with the newer style. They will swap directly and steering will be more precise. 3. Add a set of brackets to the existing engine clamps to receive the steering tube.

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey frank thank you for the reply.. U always seem to be awelth of information... I will most likely use the steering standoff bracket from the older boat.. But im curious about these brackets u talk about... Is it a add on part or more of a diy kind of project... I like my chryslers tons of bottom end power so i got no need to change to a different motor..

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Brackets are a DIY project. Someone here on the forum did it a while ago.