1967 lower unit oil/water mixture leaking after using

My 1967 Chrysler 75hp leaks a greeny colored oily watery mixture from the lower unit holes and seperating line in leg also comes from the vents sometimes and the shift pin insert on the leg? Is this just fuel oily excess fuel ?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 lower unit oil/water mixture leaking after using

Welcome!
First don't remove the shift pin.
Then open the drain and see if the oil has water mixed in it.
It's possible the unburned oil/gas is leaking down and making a mess.
The older it is the more you need to check the rubber stuff.
The diaphragm might be leaking in the fuel pump?

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant

Posting pictures of the matter would help The Techs.

Thanks a lot guys, ok I will definitely try draining oil when I get a chance and have a look at gear oil and if it is whitish and being mixed with water...where do I start? I have recently replaced the impeller and impeller housing as it was corroded.

Thanks, yes will post pics up as soon as I take some and figure out how to post them. Sorry very new to this and forums in general.

IMG_4711.JPGIMG_4712.JPGIMG_4713.JPGIMG_4714.JPG
ok i took some pics today. now the pic with the pin hole under the grease level level screw: oily watery liquid comes out of here after use and also where the unit joins to upper unit comes out of that join also.
in the other pick you see gear control bar i get oily watery mix dripping down from here too
is it just unburnt fuel?

Nordin

Commander

How does it smell?
Gearoil or fuel? You can not miss. Fuel smells fuel and gearoil smells different.

Hi guys, in the places indicated with the pics I put up it is definitely fuel and smells like fuel, going to try and replace diaphragm in fuel pump
And see if that stops it, will let you all know how it goes
Another question: I definitely have a gear oil leak also as after leaving boat sitting for a while and getting it out for the summer
Gear oil was coming out of vents which are also in pics above I'm concerned about this, any suggestions etc??
Thanks heaps for everyone's input, much appreciated
Dan.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The "vents" are the water pick-up. If you are getting lower unit oil from there it is a good bet that the upper drive shaft seal is leaking. This requires immediate replacement: It is under the water pump and water will be pumped into the lower unit, ruining the gears.

Drop the lower unit again, remove the water pump, and inspect the seal under it.

Unfortunately it is very difficult (but not undo-able) to change this seal with the drive shaft in place. Most times it is easier to disassemble the lower unit and remove the drive shaft. Chrysler used about three different drive shaft seal types in these lower units depending upon engine year, They are standard parts. If you definitely need a seal and if you can not find one at your local bearing store, try franzmarine@aol.com

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What color was the oil?

Wow, thanks for all that information frank, I'm definitely learning a lot fast here I really appreciate everyone's advice and help I love learning about my old 1967 Chrysler outboard and I'm loving using it on the water :) I will let you all know how I go when I get a chance to pull it all apart again...oh and the oil coming out of the vents (water pick up) is the same color as when I put it in at the start of the year it's just a marine gear lube color goldy oil!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You drain the lower?
Water?

Hey jerry haven't had a chance to drain the lower unit yet! Unfortunately my job and reality has gotten in the way but will drain it ASAP and then take a pic of what it looks like I'm sure it will be milky white oil/water mix :(

IMG_4723.jpgIMG_4724.jpgIMG_4725.JPGIMG_4726.jpgIMG_4727.JPG
draining the gearcase oil today and result= milky thick white oil :(

it has a greeny tinge to it
so anyway guys, what do you think i should do?
pressure test somehow?
replace the most common seal? what is the most common problem seal?

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander

If you have possibility to pressuretest (tools) by your self, do that.
There are eight seals( if I count right) in that house.
Drainscrewseal, ventscrewseal, driveshaftseal (under the waterimpellerhousing), shiftshaftseal, propshaftseal, pivopinseal (do not touch screw at gearcase), bearringcageseal (o-ring) and one seal (o-ring) under a plainwasher for one pinbolt for connecting to the middleg.
All this seals are cheap and common seals. You find them at hardware machineshops or at FranzeMarine.
Total cost not more then 30 dollars ( I think)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You had said that oil as leaking from the water pick-up slots. This would indicate the seal under the water pump is leaking. Since it is way easier to replace this seal by disassembling the lower unit, you may as well replace all the seals and be done with it. I think Nordin's estimate is a little low because the drive shaft seal is about 18 bucks and the shift rod seal is about 8. Normally I say buy seals locally, but I have been burned --store said the seals were all stainless and the shell rusted. SO: unless you are completely confident in your bearing supplier, spend a little extra and buy from Franz.

Thanks heaps frank
Have emailed franz for pricing etc as I'm in Melbourne australia