newbie needs help with possible throttle issue(1987 85hp force)

captain4016

Recruit
first of all hello to everyone and thanks for any help you may be able to give... i have both forward and reverse,the prop locks in place both directions and the idle seems fine but when i start the engine and try to put it in forward or reverse it seems like it throttles too high and i can't tell if it has engaged or not even though the prop is turning(don't feel that clunk when it engages) i hope someone can understand what i'm getting at and offer some advice. again thanks for any help.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: newbie needs help with possible throttle issue(1987 85hp force)

Well, if the engine is running and the prop is turning, it is engaged. I'm trying to follow you here.
I hope you have the boat in water when you doing all this
Have you had the boat running on the water at all?

captain4016

Recruit

Well, if the engine is running and the prop is turning, it is engaged. I'm trying to follow you here.
I hope you have the boat in water when you doing all this
Have you had the boat running on the water at all?

yes the boat has been in the water...i only had forward at the time so i made some adjustments ...did notice before though that when i had on the muffs the prop would turn in reverse but i still had no reverse in the water..it would only bubble up the water behind the motor...i took the clamp off of the cable and was able to manually shift into forward and reverse...reconnected the clamp on the cable and adjusted until i had reverse at the shifter...prior to this you could put it in reverse and yet still turn the prop in both directions by hand...now the prop locks into place as it should,both forward and reverse...the only difference is i can't feel that slight clunk you feel when it engages...thank you for your reply. oh also a better way to put it is, it feels like i have the neutral knob pulled out and all i'm doing is reving the engine even though it is engaged. thanks again...

Last edited:

foodfisher

Captain

Check for a spun hub.