Tilt Lock Parts Search 1974 chrysler 120 hp

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My manual tilt lock froze up. Only 39 years old, go figure. Boat used in salt water, sat a long time. Plastic knob on front of engine broke off trying to turn with pliers, plastic thingy that pulled the tilt release up broke off while trying to turn with pliers. I need: how to get tilt release shaft out of motor? About 3/16" dia., parts to replace entire tilt release mechanism. :confused:

I have pic's.

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Tilt Lock Parts Search 1974 chrysler 120 hp

Did you use penetrating oil for days before forcing and now?
1 I feel the oil and time would be a big help getting the old out.
2. Please post the pics, (close front and under side) mainly to see if you could drill 1-2 small holes to add more penetrating oil. Is it possible w/o the knob, no damage, a pin punch will drive the rod out?
3. Feeling looking at my 1970 35hp Chrysler, drilling the pin out or working it from the underside might be options.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hope attachment works!

wickware

Lieutenant

I am not seeing attachments, are you (as you should see them also)? Did you use the ?Go Advanced? option and use the paper clip icon to attach the pics. It can be a slight challenge to attach if you h/n and know their are Pic size limits and 5 Pics per post. I size most of my pics under 1 meg (in windows property?s specs and they have attached.

Attached is the closest Pic I have toward your question w/o taking the specifics I asked if you have. The pic shows to be 124 KB as the size in widows. Getting the pics down to an acceptable size was my initial problem. Since, I size most pics to 2 meg in PhotoShop and this works, if my camera?s quality is set above mid range.

Attachments

• Boat's Top Of Transom Re-Sealed.JPG
    Boat's Top Of Transom Re-Sealed.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7454.jpg104_7452.jpg104_7453.jpg

The front of the cowling should have two screws holding the plastic shaft retainer. These screws are underneath the plastic piece. They will be difficult to get out. Remove those screws and drop the plastic piece. The shaft itself is carried in a plastic bushing at the yoke end. The aluminum of the yoke corrodes, squeezes the bushing and seizes the shaft. Simply grab it with a pliers and wiggle it out. CAREFUL! Most were stainless, but some were aluminum and will snap easily, right at the roll pin hole. Clean the hole and the bushing so the new shaft will slip in freely. Use a little anti-seize on the hole, bushing, and shaft.

Good luck finding another one--I think they are NLA. But, search for one from a later model Force 35 or 50. They are all the same part.

If your engine does not have the plastic plate in the front, then there will be a spring washed slid on the shaft. This must be worked down to remove the shaft.

Last edited:

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Too stupid to get pictures to upload!!! File size too large.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I give up on uploading, anyone want to share an email address, I CAN email them.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was able to drive the spring (drift) pin out of the shaft , Shaft will turn, so i feel I can get it out, eventually. Need the plastic thing the drift pin went through. I have a lath and milling machine, can make a handle for the release. can make the rod that hooks to the release lever to the tilt lock. God! I wish I could load the pics!

wickware

Lieutenant

If it?s not too late to take the Pics again. Set your camera to the quality above email and take the pics again. To try an get a better quality pic but not too large to send, move up to the 2nd quality above email. Try to send the 2nd quality above email 1st. If that quality is too large, send the 1st and send the email if needed. You should be able to tell if they will go by pointing to the pics and see if the size will show. If not click the right mouse button, sel properties and the size should show. If it shows as one meg or less I feel it will attach.

I feel my 35hp is setup different from seeing Frank?s Pics and reading both of your comments. Hang Tuff with the sizing or Get a High School Neighbor on the Job.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Download your photos to your computer. OPEN them with PAINT. Resize to 50% and see if that reduces them enough for them to load on here. Try different reduction until you get photos that will upload here ( go advanced-manage attachments) and still be big enough to show details.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tilt lock 1.2.jpgtilt lock 1.3.jpgtilt lock 1.4.jpgtilt lock 1.1.jpgTried to re size, we'll see how that works.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Your engine does not have the plastic plate at the front. There should be a spring washer at the front of the shaft which normally keeps it from working out the front. Bend or break the spring washer, slide it down the shaft, and drive out the roll pin. then, grab the shaft with a pliers (vice grip) and wiggle it out the front. clean both the front and rear holes and the plastic bushings.

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant

Good Job/Lesson with the Pics!

?Need the plastic thing the drift pin went through?. Is it more than Teflon tubing in the plumbing section at Home Depot? OR! Would copper tubing do just as well?

I blew a post, asking for help to a diagram?s link to your Tilt Lock (Forgot to add Nordin & Others in the title vs inside the post). I feel my smaller 35hp is different due to a cable I saw involved.

What method did you use to reduce from what size to what size (this could help others)? Good Luck!

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Iwent from 100% to 25%.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The plastic thingy is a molded part that has to be just so. Didn't find the one that broke off. If anyone has a picture of theirs, i may could make one.

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all who helped, Franz has the plastic "thingy" and I can make the rest. New shift cables may help shifting problems. Now.... just ot get into the water for sea trout season!!